Making a 4 door cool ...or... My '50 Ford 2 door conversion!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTruant

Here's my '50 4 door.

101_0813580x435.jpg

I want a chopped 2dr. So, better get to work. Here's the main tools you will need to complete this task.

DSCN2827.jpg

Step 1. Completely strip and blast the car and all necessary parts. Including a pair of 2 door front doors (swap meet find) and 2 door rear quarter panels I cut off of a parts car (don't worry, it was beyond worth fixing.)

DSCN2681.jpg

DSCN2629.jpg

Here's the 2 door front door on the car with the 4 door b-pillar still in place to show how much longer it is.

DSCN2705.jpg

I left the donor car unbraced when I cut it apart so I could see what moved around. The roof skin was WAY floppier than I had thought it would be so I bent up some 90 degree pieces of 18ga and punched some 1/8 holes for Clecos.

DSCN2707.jpg

I used the shrinker/stretcher to get them to match the contour of the roof and cleco'd them on.

DSCN2713.jpg

I then braced up the inside, getting the tubing as close to the cut line in the door frame as possible.

DSCN2714.jpg

To mark the cut line in the roof and donor quarter panel I made a simple sharpie holder out of scrap sheetmetal.

DSCN2721.jpg

DSCN2722.jpg

I made sure to have the cut line far enough up the roof that my body hammer would fit in.

DSCN2723.jpg

I then picked a spot and marked out the front cut...don't forget to mark which side of the line to cut on!

DSCN2728.jpg

When I get to the point of chopping it I'm gonna cut the rear window out and move it forward, so I made another sharpie holder, this time a little longer and marked the rear window cut so it would share the quarter panel cut line. However, since I'm posting these pics after doing some work, I think I'm gonna make the cut line straight across the roof, still not 100% sure though.

DSCN2745.jpg

To mark the vertical cuts in the quarter panels and get them to line up, I made a wheel arch template of the 4 door body.

DSCN2730.jpg

I then held it up to the 2 door quarter and marked on the template where the end of the panel was.

DSCN2732.jpg

Then I put it back on the 4 door body and, sha-zam!, I know where to mark the cut. No trying to measure off of a round edge or anyting like that.

DSCN2734.jpg

I then used a square to mark the vertical line keeping it nice and straight.

DSCN2735.jpg

One of these flexible metal rulers kicks ass for marking on contoured surfaces.

DSCN2736.jpg

The same line transferred to the 4 door body.

DSCN2740.jpg

Next up I made another sharpie holder 1/2" longer than the first and marked a second line on the donor panel to make the donor panel 1/2" larger than the cut on the car.

DSCN2775.jpg

DSCN2774.jpg

I then trimmed the excess of the donor panel and punched some holes in the wheel lip so I could plug weld it back to the wheel tub in the 4 door body.

DSCN2777.jpg

DSCN2776.jpg

Then the always enjoyable first cut! I whacked the b-pillar out so I could see if the 2 door door was even gonna fit.

DSCN2746.jpg

Luckily, everything lined up really nice.

DSCN2749.jpg

DSCN2748.jpg

The end of the rocker panel on the 2 door is 1 1/4" shorter than the door itself.

DSCN2751.jpg

Flexible ruler coming in handy again, I butted it up to the end of the door and marked a line 1 1/4" ahead.

DSCN2752.jpg

Then opened the door and carried the line all the way to the inside.

DSCN2757.jpg

Now to get that ugly 4 door quarter off of there.

First thing, I cut the outer rocker loose.

DSCN2759.jpg

I couldn't tell exactly where the end piece tied in and if it would hold the quarter on or not, so I cut that out next.

DSCN2760.jpg

I then cut loose the welds holding the pillar to the wheel tub.

DSCN2753.jpg

And the roof braces.

DSCN2755.jpg

Rather than spend all day laying down and drilling spot welds on the wheel arch I ran the cut off wheel around it being very careful to only cut through the outer layer. Show ya how to get rid of the other piece in a bit.

DSCN2758.jpg

I drilled a couple holes so I could get the jigsaw started. It worked well for 90% of the cutting and the sawz-all and cutoff wheel made quick work of the tricky parts. Friendly reminder, make sure you drill your starter hole on the piece that gets thrown out

DSCN2761.jpg

At this point the quarter panel is ready to remove and you can stand back and ask yourself "what the hell have I gotten into?!?!" [S:eek:[ddd

DSCN2765.jpg

Here's the difference in the 4 door and 2 door quarter.

DSCN2766.jpg

Here's the rotted out pencil that fell out when I pulled the quarter off.

DSCN2768.jpg

To get rid of the remaining piece of the wheel tub I took a screwdriver and pried loose what I could to see where the spot welds were. Then I took the cut off wheel and ran it between the two to cut all the spot welds. A little touch up with the grinder and it's better than new.

DSCN2770.jpg

I also trimmed the package tray brace now that it was a little more acceptable.

DSCN2769.jpg

After that the quarter was ready to test fit. I had to trim this area of the brace out to get it to fit.

DSCN2779.jpg

I sprayed some layout fluid around the opening so it would be easier to mark the final cut.

DSCN2773.jpg

Then the quarter was ready for the first of many test fits.

DSCN2783.jpg

The door gap is probably the most important thing so I got that lined up first.

DSCN2817.jpg

Then the spot where the drip rail joins together.

DSCN2788.jpg

Since the 2 door quarter is 1/2" larger than the cut in the car I was able to drill through both and cleco them together to keep everything in place.

DSCN2789.jpg

Once you're satisfied that everything is lined up like you want it, scribe a line around the panel.

DSCN2792.jpg

Then remove the quarter, trim to the scribe line, put the quarter back on and enjoy one helluva good fit....did I mention I want to TIG weld all this back together [;)[ddd

DSCN2793.jpg

Getting everything fitted up just right before welding is the most crucial part. I made a handful of these tabs to keep everything cleco'd in place like so..

DSCN2771.jpg

DSCN2794.jpg

A piece of TIG wire makes an easy contour gauge to see if anything needs bumped around before tack welding.

DSCN2805.jpg

DSCN2806.jpg

DSCN2804.jpg

After getting everything just right I started to tack weld it together.

DSCN2814.jpg

Here's the roof after tacking it together and some hammer / dolly work. Should take less than an inch of bondo hopefully :D

DSCN2824.jpg

DSCN2819.jpg

And here's how it currently sits, looking quite a bit more 2 door-ish if I do so say myself [;)[P

DSCN2822.jpg

DSCN2821.jpg

Not much cooler than a 3door. ;) Thanks for taking the time to document all your work! I learned several things already.

Was that really one days work?!

Very nice!!!

Thanks Tyster!

Amazing work!! I don't have the skilz nor the balz to try something like this!!

Thanks man! All I can say is go for it! It's only metal, pound on it long enough and it'll look like you want it to.

Not much cooler than a 3door. ;) Thanks for taking the time to document all your work! I learned several things already.

Was that really one days work?!

Awsome, glad you can get something out of it, makes it worth the time of posting it! [cl

I wish that was one days work! It's 4 days working roughly 9-5 minus lunchtime. I spent the first day rebuilding my door hinges and bracing everything. So, 3 days of marking, cutting, fitting, welding.

WOW!! Nice work!!! My buddy is building a '49 2 door kustom for a customer right now with a 4/5 slant chop

Attachments

• 299709_2458660678147_1601041224_2428283_1520232031_n.jpg
    299709_2458660678147_1601041224_2428283_1520232031_n.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 56
I wish that was one days work! It's 4 days working roughly 9-5 minus lunchtime. I spent the first day rebuilding my door hinges and bracing everything. So, 3 days of marking, cutting, fitting, welding.

Thank God! I was really feeling totally inadequate, now I just feel really slow!

Latest posts

Back