Making a 4 door cool ...or... My '50 Ford 2 door conversion!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting everything fitted up just right before welding is the most crucial part. I made a handful of these tabs to keep everything cleco'd in place like so..

DSCN2771.jpg

DSCN2794.jpg

A piece of TIG wire makes an easy contour gauge to see if anything needs bumped around before tack welding.

DSCN2805.jpg

DSCN2806.jpg

DSCN2804.jpg

After getting everything just right I started to tack weld it together.

DSCN2814.jpg

Here's the roof after tacking it together and some hammer / dolly work. Should take less than an inch of bondo hopefully :D

DSCN2824.jpg

DSCN2819.jpg

Umm....WOW!!!!:eek:

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Shea

Got my roof all welded up and started finishing it.

DSCN2840.jpg

Slowly but surely coming out nice, gonna take quite awhile.

DSCN2837.jpg

I'm really pleased how the driprail came together.

DSCN2838.jpg

Got the quarter panel seam welded up as well, gonna be a pain to finish since I can't get behind it to work on due to the wheeltub.

DSCN2835.jpg

It feels more cool already [cl

DSCN2845.jpg

Stay tuned, it's almost time for the fun part.

DSCN2847.jpg

Can you explain those "cleco" things and what/how they work? I have not seen anything like that in NZ...
Oh and thanks for the documentation, Ive taken in a lot from it which will come in handy when the Buick body fabrication starts..

Can you explain those "cleco" things and what/how they work? I have not seen anything like that in NZ...
Oh and thanks for the documentation, Ive taken in a lot from it which will come in handy when the Buick body fabrication starts..

Cool, glad to hear you could get something out of this thread, makes it worth posting!

This video can explain Cleco's better and quicker than I ever could by typing ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgEIVUVLrnQ

Been following along and I have to say I am very impressed!!! Some really nice work you've done on your car.....[cl. I'm a shoebox fan too....

Passenger side goes the same way.

Cut giant hole.

DSCN2860.jpg

Install enough cleco's to make Frankenstein blush

DSCN2869.jpg

Set nice tight gaps

DSCN2870.jpg

Pass. side quarter is ready to start welding in. Hey! It looks like a 2 door all of a sudden!

DSCN2876.jpg

Every day is one day closer to the fun part...

DSCN2878.jpg

DAn,
LEts post the chop. Ur a little behind. Seen the work up close. great job!!!

I am in awe of the work you are doing. I had a 66 chevy II that I nearly tackled the same way. my buddy called it the nova SS (Super Sedan). I ended up selling it to finish my tow rig:

Im a young guy too, but i make sure im not under estimated. Thanks for the pics and the inspiration. You have amazing skills.

Attachments

• 600_camera%20download%20jan%202011%20206.jpg
    600_camera%20download%20jan%202011%20206.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back