1930 model a pickup rat build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

What's happenin' fellas. New to the site. Thought I would throw out my latest creation. Working on a 1930 model A pickup. Almost a rolling chassis. Have to do a little work on the rear axle. Suggestions?

Attachments

• rat1.jpg
    rat1.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 482
  • RATRODWOODINSTALL.jpg
    RATRODWOODINSTALL.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 399
  • REARENDRAT.jpg
    REARENDRAT.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 381
Yeah, not too many people see flathead setups in this part of Texas. Going for a more old school look. Straightening my axle right now. Burned the rod a little too hot and bent it. I will post more pics when I get it back together and rolling. And then to working on the brake lines and channelling.

Thought I would throw out my latest creation. Working on a 1930 model A pickup. Almost a rolling chassis. Have to do a little work on the rear axle. Suggestions?

I don't see much there worth saving........I'd suggest piling it up in a big heap and I'll come by and haul it off for you :D

Seriously though, that thing sure looks cool for your first attempt [cl[cl A nice channel job would look great on that truck and ordinarily I'd say chop it too but man that cab looks sweet just like it is. :cool:

Keep us posted on your progress.

HAHA! Thanks. It has been channelled 4" already. The rearend has airbags. Once I get the axles and wheels back in the housing, I will drop the frame as low as it can go and level the cab off so when I fill the bags for ride height it is raked a bit. It will look pretty clean just sitting level, but mean on the road. I'm thinking of chopping the top 4-6" but I want to get the floor and seats before so that I don't get too excited and over chop it. Suggestions??????

Damn, I need a shop bigger than a 2 car garage!
You guys with your large shops, I'm jealous!

The rat looks nice, I would definitely get the seats, and sit in them take some measurements, make sure your eye level is not inline with the edge of the new roof height =)

Although the really aggressively chopped cars look really cool, they suck for functionality in my opinion...

My son and I were just talking about Model A trucks this morning after seeing two on the freeway. You have a nice setup there. What part of Texas do you live in?

I agree with Dirtyrat chops look great but I personally would leave it the way it is. Remember it is yours though, so build the way you want it[;)

Paul J,

Thanks. We live around the La Vernia area south of San Antonio. We should have a rolling chassis this week once I finish the axle. Had to order a new door latch for the driver side. Not too many swap meets in the are to find one. Will probabley set the radiator when it gets rolling. I need it to flow with the cab.

Damn, I need a shop bigger than a 2 car garage!
You guys with your large shops, I'm jealous!

The rat looks nice, I would definitely get the seats, and sit in them take some measurements, make sure your eye level is not inline with the edge of the new roof height =)

Although the really aggressively chopped cars look really cool, they suck for functionality in my opinion...

yep
i had to look long and hard to find seats low and narrow enough for my 27
finally i ended up with boat seats.

Mine is channeled 4" and chopped 5 1/2"....in this case size does matter...if you are taller than 5.8" and heavy set you will find it quite a tight fit....my seats are only 2" off the floor and leg room is very minimal...u have to like your knees up by your ears:eek:...I am 5'7" and 170 lbs...I find it a little snug but I have made 400 mi. runs and was still able to walk afterwards:D...and the visibility was also good with the set up that I have...you can use that in comparison with your build and amount that you wish to chop...Hope this helps..RF

Thanks for the info! That is the look I am going for with the chop. Do you have any pointers on how to chop? Measurements, etc...... More detail the better. That rod is pretty tough by the way.[cl

Kool Truck I have a Brother to that one ...Check out my build thread:cool:

Attachments

• ratrod body 003.jpg
    ratrod body 003.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 65
ryan.. if you chop it. go a lil more in frnt then in rear gives it a cool look mines basicly 8'' frnt an 6'' rear ,but makes it tough lookin threw windshield. i look mostly in the middle lol :cool:

Thanks for the info! That is the look I am going for with the chop. Do you have any pointers on how to chop? Measurements, etc...... More detail the better. That rod is pretty tough by the way.[cl

The chop on these is fairly simple...measure the chop that you want and make sure your lines are straight...it will sit down fairly square...the only issue is that the front posts have a slight taper towards the top...if you pie cut the front posts and squeeze them a little they will line up at the top...also cut above the hindge line on the doors...it will save you alot of work...the pics on my build basically show you where to cut...its only metal...chop away.

Latest posts

Back