57 chevy metal work

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornfield customs

this is my neighbors 57, and it need some attention. he started putting floors in and patching some stuff, but i think he got in over his head in a few spots so he brought it to me. pretty much i am doing is fixing all the remaining rust, some metal work, and re working some of the things he does not like the way they turned out.

i did some work to his fenders a while back when i didnt have room for the whole car yet

to start on the rear lower area of the fenders, to make the patches i first made a cardboard template and transfered it to some sheet metal.

DSCN6039.jpg

then cut it out

DSCN6040.jpg

the bottom edge has a curved break on it, so to get that is used the bead roller with a tipping die.

DSCN6042.jpg

DSCN6043.jpg

DSCN6045.jpg

then i had to put a regular break on the back edge. then run it through the shrinker to get the curve to match the original fender

DSCN6046.jpg

DSCN6047.jpg

here is the new (extra) panel

DSCN6048.jpg

DSCN6049.jpg

and some pics of the backside, still need to put the support brace back in

DSCN6033.jpg

DSCN6034.jpg

DSCN6035.jpg

DSCN6037.jpg

then he dropped the car off and the real work began

DSCN6332.jpg

started on this rust hole in the lower rear quarter. i am just tacking everything in right now, the welder is low on gas and cant get my bottle re filled till monday so tacks for now lol. i will try to stick to pics and keep the typing down

DSCN6330.jpg

DSCN6333.jpg

DSCN6334.jpg

DSCN6335.jpg

a patch that someone else tried to put in, had a bunch of holes, no shape just a flat piece.

DSCN6355.jpg

DSCN6356.jpg

DSCN6360.jpg

DSCN6361.jpg

DSCN6362.jpg

the old butchered wheel well, formed a new section for that

DSCN6363.jpg

DSCN6365.jpg

DSCN6368.jpg

DSCN6369.jpg

DSCN6370.jpg

made some more progress on this one today,not much, but sundays are my short days at the shop.

had some rust to address at the passenger toe board and floor area

DSCN6385.jpg

DSCN6386.jpg

looking a little better, still needs welded solid

DSCN6388.jpg

driver rear wheel well needed the same treatment as the passenger side

DSCN6390.jpg

DSCN6391.jpg

DSCN6392.jpg

DSCN6394.jpg

driver toe board needed the same as passenger

DSCN6396.jpg

these are a few more of the areas i will be taking care of on the car. then the owner is coming over to see what else he wants me to repair and we will go from there. the main problems left are the welding and in some spots the lack there of as you can see in the pics

DSCN6398.jpg

DSCN6401.jpg

DSCN6403.jpg

DSCN6404.jpg

DSCN6405.jpg

DSCN6406.jpg

i keep getting messages asking about my age and my skill set. when i tell them i am 26 they never believe me. so here is a pic of me ( doing the cheesy thumbs up) at the shop today.

DSCN6408.jpg

Some fine work there! Great to see a young guy doing it. Makes this old man happy to see it isn't a dead art. Great work, keep it up[cl

Who is the old guy in that last pic :D Alexander the great became ruler of Macedonia at age 20, your slacking. Just pulling your leg. You got some great skills. Maybe we need to start calling you cornfeild the great :D

these are a few more of the areas i will be taking care of on the car. then the owner is coming over to see what else he wants me to repair and we will go from there. the main problems left are the welding and in some spots the lack there of as you can see in the pics

DSCN6401.jpg

DSCN6403.jpg

DSCN6404.jpg

DSCN6405.jpg

DSCN6406.jpg

i keep getting messages asking about my age and my skill set. when i tell them i am 26 they never believe me. so here is a pic of me ( doing the cheesy thumbs up) at the shop today.

DSCN6408.jpg

[S Man, I don't recall ever working on your friend's '57.......but that sure looks like my welding. :eek:

Awesome work there "young man" ..........I'm more than twice your age so I can call you that. :D

Thanks for posting up your work, I never get tired of looking at it! :cool:

Stick with it "Kid". It will take you somewhere some day![cl

Nice work. Some people work their entire lives and not reach the level you are at now. Alway strive to learn and improve on what you know. You may have your own line of tools and do videos in the future. [P

At 26, I think you may have a future in metal work. You are doing fine work now, just imagine what you will be doing in 20 years. Keep It up!

What ever you do, keep learning, and keep your mind open.

Dude, you're awesome!:cool: I've got 15 years on you and my "welding skills" can't come anywhere near close to what you have.[;)

I don't know how to use hammer/dolly or an english wheel, either.:eek:

Thanks for sharing your pics. That five-seven is gonna be a much better machine for the attention you're giving it!:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

Iv'e been saving up my nickels to get Cornfield Customs to make my frame[dr,
What i didn't know that it was a young little whipper snapper doing such great work:D Honestly you do some of the best metal working and welding that i have ever seen. As soon as i get a few more dollars saved up you will definitely be hearing from me.

all the patches finished up, also did a ton of welding and grinding on the floor, didnt take any pics but its a floor

DSCN6423.jpg

DSCN6424.jpg

DSCN6425.jpg

DSCN6427.jpg

DSCN6428.jpg

DSCN6429.jpg

DSCN6430.jpg

DSCN6419.jpg

its ready for the owner to come pick it up and get the rest of the body work done

Latest posts

Back