OK, 38 chevy build pics

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankthebigdog

sorry I didntstart this sooner, but I am electronicly challenged. Her is a few from start tilnow. Took her to church on her maiden voyage.

My best freind found this in 1983 in a barn and I helped him load it and tinker with it. Long story short, he said he was gonna fix it someday and drive it. Well, he got in some trouble and I had a chance to get it. I jumped on it[he always told me if he sold it I could have first shot]. With that being said,..........................................here is the find.

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 42
I started by getting her running after allof those years. To my surprise, new points, oil change, mystery oil to the cylinders for a couple of days and I had her running.
Smokes a little and has some blow by, but hey it is original 216 with a granny 4 speed.
I put a new alternator on her [it already had been changed to 12v starter and make shift change over]

I started on trying to smooth her out a little and was not too sure what to make of her but , I just had to save her life.[P[P

Attachments

• peppers 2012 001.jpg
    peppers 2012 001.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 27
  • peppers 2012 006.jpg
    peppers 2012 006.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 31
  • peppers 2012 003.jpg
    peppers 2012 003.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 28
Ok more on the build. I worked for about 2 weeks in the spare time, if there is such a thing, and I got it pretty straight. I primered it with nason sandable primer. 3 coats did a pretty smooth job on my imperfect body work.

Attachments

• goop 011.jpg
    goop 011.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 22
  • goop 012.jpg
    goop 012.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 21
  • goop 010.jpg
    goop 010.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 25
  • goop 009.jpg
    goop 009.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 22
I had some down time[lack of funds] so I had to work on the wiring and the gas tank leak. I used "red Kote sealer on the tank after pulling and cleaning it .

I did the interior by removing and painting the dash and door panels. I replaced the window fuzzies and I had to rebuild/fabricate door latch parts.

I traded afriend for some left over white paint from a jeep he had painted in his shop, so I scuffed the primer with 000sotch brite pads. I sprayed the entire truck with nason paint and this is what happened.

[S[S[S[S[S:confused::confused:

notice the bleed through. This was 2 coats of paint.

Attachments

• 38 chevy PU 015.jpg
    38 chevy PU 015.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 21
  • 38 chevy PU 014.jpg
    38 chevy PU 014.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 38 chevy PU 013.jpg
    38 chevy PU 013.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 38 chevy PU 016.jpg
    38 chevy PU 016.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 23
I let the thing set overnight and it got even worse on the bleed through. I still dont understand how red/orange came through green primer after being covered and sanded and reprimered for a few weeks.I guess that is why I dont paint.

I decided after seeing it the next morning that maybe more paint would cover it. After one more coat, I came to the conclusion that it just did not want to be anything but a rat rod so...............................................................
I mixed about a tablespoon of pearl flakes my buddy had left over from a previous side job, a few drops of school bus yellow/saftey orange in with the clear and sprayed 3 coats of clear mixture on it. :eek:

I painted the body lines with a mixture of implement paint that is close in coor to plum crazy purple. I also painted the grill after a few hours of straightening and some sand blasting to get the old flaking mess off of it.

Here is what I got..... The dreamcicle

Attachments

• 38 chevy PU 024.jpg
    38 chevy PU 024.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 31
I took the old girl home and bolted in a 16 ga. steel bed on some thin rubber washers I made from old conveyor belt. I covered it with dura last bed liner. I also covered the running boards with the bed liner. I painted the steel wheels with fusion black rattle can paint.

I forgot to say that I welded in a receiver hitch that I modified from a dodge ram. I placed it inside the frame and flus mounted it. I welded in a 1/4 in. plate to cover it and smooth out the back. I placed led tail lights in this said plateand bolted on my turn signals I got from cheapo depot.

Attachments

• ins pics 011.jpg
    ins pics 011.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 22
OK. Here is the old girl

Here she is almost finished except for a few minors like wiper blade and fuel tank/body seal rubber.

Attachments

• car 008.jpg
    car 008.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 15
  • car 010.jpg
    car 010.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 16
  • car 011.jpg
    car 011.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back