1941 1/2 ton project Hannah

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would notice the 1/2'' offset, but I am OCD :D It will probably be fine!

I would say that your piece from the donor wasn't an offal (or awful) cut afterall! [cl

I was going for the butcher term, offal, something cast away from butchering, because the piece is usually only useful for setting up spacing or hole diameters and generally not for using. I thought I cut it cleanly too, not "awful"ly :p

I use an old yardstick... on the mark, or the next one over.

attachment.php

Attachments

• yardstick.jpg
    yardstick.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 167
I ordered a steering wheel today, on the last truck I put on a steering wheel that I liked, but everyone else was MEH. so this time I ordered a more custom friendly steering wheel, 15" diameter and only a 2" dish so I might have to cut the turn stalk down a little. I will show a picture when it shows up.

I am almost ready to put the column in, need to do the big inner brace but I have the plan. I am pretty happy that chunk of firewall worked out because it takes care of the brake pedal and booster, clutch pedal and master, gas pedal, and column all in one swoop.

SWOOP
IMG_7808 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7810 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

look at all those tacks. I have sunburn on my forehead.

yeah I have a good helmet and I wear it religiously but when tacking I sometimes just do the "close your eyes" method

I knew the steering wheel would stick out a bunch but since its the 4 bolt bracket and there is a metric ton on room below the column, I figure to just move the brackets.

IMG_7811 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7812 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I dont know how far to move them though till the steering wheel comes and I have the seat in, so I popped the seat in for a looksee

IMG_7813 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the seat needs to drop a couple inches, there is a bracket/wheel assembly on the bottom I need to take off and it will sit better in the cab. This is with the steering column all the way "in", I cant hold it up and take a picture but you can see there wont be any problem with joedoh the hutt fitting in this one.

IMG_7814 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

next had to get the harness pass through done, very interesting to do because on the S10 it came below the clutch pedal but there is a big firewall brace there. looking around and at the actual size of the plug, I drew out a couple locations and literally this was the only place where every component (clutch, brake, harness, radiator brace) would fit and not interfere.

IMG_7825 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7827 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7831 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

got the seat lowered and its not going to work. might have to find another set of buckets. just wont go back enough, needs another 4 inches rearward

IMG_7832 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

got the plate tacked in for the steering column brace, and holy schnikey, the column mount went from a wobbly mess to solid as a rock, and I havent even welded it all up yet.

IMG_7833 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7834 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

got my steering wheel too. its a repop of a ford wheel but its sure nice. got a black friday deal on it but it was still almost 8 times what I paid for the cavalier wheel on the last truck

IMG_7828 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

Coming along great as usual. I like the steering wheel too. Hope to get back on mine soon. Switched jobs recently and working 11 -12 hours a day. Keep up the good work.

What's the width across the front corners of that seat joe? I got offered one out of a van that may fit in my 46.

I tried 3 different seats in my '42 trying to have some nice ones for once but i had to give up on that and use plywood over the tank with kitchen chair pads and one by's across the back. I'm only 5'9 but these cabs are as tiny as model a's

Trying to measure where it needs to be measured is hard without a candidate, but it looks like 42" between the door panels where the seat corners need to be. Got offered rear van seats from a plymouth voyager, one is 42" and one is 37". I need to go snag them and see. According to Jim Carter Trucks, the seats that are known to fit are the rears from 1990 Ford mini-van and 1984-90 Dodge Caravan or Plymouth Voyager. Hope this helps.

Not sure about Chevrolet cab width, but a 3rd row seat from a Suburban fit door-to-door in my 39 Ford. The early version is best if leg room is an issue, as the back is thinner than the later ones. I bought a later leather seat, and when installed it was two precious inches closer to the steering wheel. I'll think if something to do with the leather one later.

Not sure about Chevrolet cab width, but a 3rd row seat from a Suburban fit door-to-door in my 39 Ford. The early version is best if leg room is an issue, as the back is thinner than the later ones. I bought a later leather seat, and when installed it was two precious inches closer to the steering wheel. I'll think if something to do with the leather one later.

we are using a leather 3rd row seat from a Suburban in our 36 Diamond T - we even made it so it can be removed just like in the Suburban. (our is from a '98). We have plenty of leg room, but it is the 200-series cab (if it was the model 80, it would only work for me haha)

What's the width across the front corners of that seat joe? I got offered one out of a van that may fit in my 46.

I measured it, it is just over 44.5". looks like up to 48" will fit (if moved all the way back) the original S10 seat is 47". I have an original 39-46 seat frame in the back (if anyone wants one cheap) and I will throw a tape on it too.

this may seem like something I should have done a while ago, but I threw the hood half on to make sure the clutch master would fit. of course it did, I remember the clearances from doing fenix my last 41.

IMG_7852 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7853 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

its hard to tell in the picture but there is at least two inches there, the only thing even remotely close is the latch rod to the line.

this weekend is blasted already, we got a roll off to start cleaning up for the new shop build.

I am still taking bids on the work so its in a bit of flux. what I WANT is a gambrel roof 30x40 with an upstairs, footings, 5" floor with heat, hay loft door and approaches/ big doors on the west AND south sides. what I looked at today was a 36x48x12 single story metal building (post frame) with spray insulation and one big approach/door. there is a lot of cost difference between the two, ironically, if I go with the cheaper setup I can buy a forklift, but I wont need it as much. a gift of the magi kind of situation.

we hauled off 80yd of brush and leftover construction stuff. and the next day I took almost 2t of steel to the scrapyard. my back is still sore! there was a brown recluse nest under the pile of siding, we squished almost 100 and even more escaped. I thought I escaped getting bit but nope, I have a fingernail sized wound now on my shin, maybe its as bad as its going to get. I can post a picture if anyone wants to get sick.

back on hannah, I got the seat in a position where it might work and its still way too high, needs to drop maybe 4". I will work on that in a bit.

IMG_7933 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

also got the dash sanded for paint, there was some concern about rust on this one but there are only a couple pits to fix. thats a relief (you can see them barely under the glovebox)

IMG_7934 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

and got the cab pulled to finish the frame painting and finish welding.

IMG_7936 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

Shop Build

A Dutch roof design sounds nice. You won't regret a large shop door with southern exposure. We put a 10x10 door in my shop, very happy with it. Be careful with a recluse bite. Visit to Dr may be good idea if it doesn't heal soon.

I've got a 30x60 12" wall steel building, the south side has two 16x10 and one 12x10 overhead doors, essentially the whole south side of the building is open when they'er up, which makes it pleasant in the shop at 45+ temps on sunny days during the winter.
In the summer the sun is farther North and the shop is shaded all the way to the openings.
My sun in-law has 16x10 doors on each end of his 45x60, one East end one West end and in the summer the the sun is brutally hot coming in the West door.
Sounds like you may have the best of both worlds.

I agree with the recluse bite - you might need antibiotics! I seem to be a magnet for spider bites, I get a couple a year at least. Arms at night or legs during the day from my coveralls. Not recluse mind you though! If I would have saw a NEST of those #@$% things, I would have killed with FIRE!!!

Latest posts

Back