I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stepped on a nail Tuesday and spent time in UR & ER. On an antibiotic. The foot is red, sore and fat. Supposed to stay off of it. I don't have a pit bike so am unsure if I can make it. The dragster, Dave and Jerry will be there.
Last night, for no reason my left thumb began aching. It's bone on bone in there. Back to the thumb brace.
Lots of medical reports on good old UDS lately. I hate to be left out.:eek:

Ols28, you are experienced, but very optimistic. Th car generally goes quicker at this strip, so hopefully we will be a bit better.

Bob w,

Sorry to hear about your medical problems :mad:

Ya I am very optimistic, that comes from keeping our dragster in the 7.50 week after week. You see what getting 250# off the car has done, now some carb changes to crisp up the motor & I am sure mid to low 10's is just around the corner.

Keep up the good work and Dave the good driving.:)

And again good luck this weekend.[cl

Nails in the foot are never good. They hurt a lot more coming out than they do going in. Puncture wounds aren't a joke either and hard to heal. Take care of it Bob.

Sorry about the foot Bob....always something. I hate getting hurt these days cause it takes so long to heal..

I don't think I mentioned this but a few weeks ago I got up from my kitchen table chair with my laptop out in front of me, open, still reading. I tripped over the dog....she's 80 pounds and not moving so my right foot slides under her belly and I fall forward. My wife gets up from her side of the table and stops me from falling thru the slider which was nice, but I hyper extend my calf and it felt like someone shot me.

First thing I thought of was I tore my Achilles tendon. I'm like great, just what I need, surgery next month and now I'm gona need another surgery and another round of PT. Just finished PT with my 2nd shoulder. I hate to say it, but almost cried.....

So a week goes by and I'm still draging my leg. Figure I oughta go to my PC and get a script for a MRI or something. He walks in, takes one look at it and says...."Bob you gota get to the hospital right now!" I'm like.. WTF. He was worried that I had a blood clot. With the PE I had, and the fact that I have this Prothombin Gene Clotting disorder, I reluctantly go. I just missed the Radiologist Dept closing by 5 minutes so I had to go thru Emergency. Fifty people deep, coughing, sneezing, moaning gee wiz. I'm not sitting in here so I pull a chair into the hallway. (Yes, long story but hopefully amusing) I'm at the hospital for 8 hours.... yep 5:05pm to 1:00am. Normally I wouldn't stay but it could have been serious.

Xray, Sonogram, Long story short.....no clot! Thank God.

Few days later....leg pain goes away, went to a car show, did some walking all good. Yes? No!

My Divaticulitus acts up so my Gastro guy puts me on 2 antibiotics. I take them for 1 day. I get up from watching TV that eve and almost fall down. Again WTF!

An internet search shows: Levaquin can cause serious side effects, including tendon problems. I stopped and 2 days later the pain went away.

I know this sounds like a comedy skit. All good now....

Stay well fellas :D
Can't make this stuff up.

Bob w,

Sorry to hear about your medical problems :mad:

Ya I am very optimistic, that comes from keeping our dragster in the 7.50 week after week. You see what getting 250# off the car has done, now some carb changes to crisp up the motor & I am sure mid to low 10's is just around the corner.

Keep up the good work and Dave the good driving.:)

And again good luck this weekend.[cl

Nice! Fast! Congrats!

The foot has healed with no complications. Spent Friday and Saturday walking around the drag strip. 200 racers with nostalgia cars. Lots of Gassers. Over 50 Willys. Ya had ta be there.
The dragster ran a record every time we put it out there. The best was a 10.69 @118mph.That's better than I ever expected. I've included some pictures of friends that were racing.
Paul. P with a Prefect from Canada. Bearded Bob, 396 truck engine, mid 11.s. Mark Kluge, has about a 6 pack of Willys. Tom used to have a Mopar wedge dragster but wanted a wider, slower seat. Bruce (Stubby) made this coupe out of a pile of parts. Mine, driven by Dave to record times, towed and crewed by Jerry. I just wander around. Terry & Lee's shortened Studebaker, 383, capable of high 9's. Our UDS friend Larry from Canada with Sheets and Giggles. This roadster lays down impressive, heart stopping runs.
Except for a wet Friday til mid afternoon, this was the best event and the most fun I have all year.

Attachments

• IMG_3371.jpg
    IMG_3371.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3370.jpg
    IMG_3370.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3369.jpg
    IMG_3369.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3368.jpg
    IMG_3368.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3367.jpg
    IMG_3367.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3363.jpg
    IMG_3363.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3364.jpg
    IMG_3364.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3366.jpg
    IMG_3366.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Well Bob, 0.3 ET of your best past best run [cl And that's why I am
optimistic. 10.69 is getting real close to my mid 10.50 prediction. It may come next year with the 600 carbs and BlueNorther's setup.

I know what that Ford 300 inline 6 can do, just takes a little more carb modifications to get the full power out of it. :D

During the this coming winter if there is any more weight you can remove, do it. Weight kills ET [;)

With the right setup the Bullet will run 10.50 all day. :)

Glad you are on the mend. Great pictures. What does that "T" altered with the blower run?

He was running safe 8.20’s on Saturday. There’s more in it, but the reliability may suffer. The car is for sale.

Thanks Dave, is he running alcohol? Looks like a 7.50 ride if he is. :D

Nice driving, 10.50 is just around the corner. I would call it a very good weekend. [cl

The foot has healed with no complications. Spent Friday and Saturday walking around the drag strip. 200 racers with nostalgia cars. Lots of Gassers. Over 50 Willys. Ya had ta be there.
The dragster ran a record every time we put it out there. The best was a 10.69 @118mph.That's better than I ever expected. I've included some pictures of friends that were racing.
Paul. P with a Prefect from Canada. Bearded Bob, 396 truck engine, mid 11.s. Mark Kluge, has about a 6 pack of Willys. Tom used to have a Mopar wedge dragster but wanted a wider, slower seat. Bruce (Stubby) made this coupe out of a pile of parts. Mine, driven by Dave to record times, towed and crewed by Jerry. I just wander around. Terry & Lee's shortened Studebaker, 383, capable of high 9's. Our UDS friend Larry from Canada with Sheets and Giggles. This roadster lays down impressive, heart stopping runs.
Except for a wet Friday til mid afternoon, this was the best event and the most fun I have all year.

Awesome to hear Bob! Nice pics too....thanks!

Well Bob, did the motor run leaner/cleaner with the power valves removed and pluged? From the 10.69 sounds like the jetting was right on. :D

Remember what I posted in your thread a bit back. You have removed 225# from the dragster, if their is any way to remove a bit more you should do it. remember what I said, WEIGHT KILLS YOUR ET :)

I still say the Bullet will run 10.50 all day long with the right setup. [cl

Keep at it, Im as happy as you guys about the 10.69.[cl[cl[cl

Bob w, did not hear back from you, do you think there is any more weight you can take out of the dragster?

Like I posted " WEIGHT IS A KILLER OF ET "
You can see what taking 225# off and a little carb modification has done for you ET [cl[cl[cl[cl

Sure hope you put the pair of 600 carbs together for next year.

Do you think you had the right jetting in the 750 with the power valves
removed and plugged? Or is there more?

Glad you were able to walk the pits, nice pictures. :D:D

Sorry old28. I've been lax on my follow up. I removed 120 pounds not 225 and can't do more the a few pounds more. The carb change and porting account for the rest of the improvement. The 750 carbs were jetted up only 4 sizes after removing the power valves. The plugs showed still rich. The 600's will be better, hopefully. It is revving 6,000 at the stripe now. It's possible it could use a bit more cam duration, maybe a little lift too.
The engine ran much better with the power valves plugged. Also adjusted the accelerator pump linkage to keep the squirters from dribbling. That settled the idle down.
The dragster is in the back garage for the winter. Time to fabricate and weld. My favorite activity.

Bob w, If you have taken off all the weight you can from the dragster thats it for weight. Good going. [cl[cl[cl

I have thought right along that the cam you are running is very mild. I think you have a good handle on what changes need to be made to it. If the plugs still look rich got to go down a couple jet sizes. 6000 through the lights is real good for your motor setup. I agree with you that the pair of 600 will work better than the pair of 750's.:D:D:D

No problem with your reply's, I just look forward to hearing from you.
Life has delt me a curve, I had to stop driving & give up my license, I have to use a walker all the time to get around. I gave my 71 F250 with a 300 & C4 to my two grandsons, made me real happy and they are happy to have Grampa Truck.

Thanks Dave, is he running alcohol? Looks like a 7.50 ride if he is. :D [cl

Yes, I run alcohol. The car has a very mild tune up - 10% overdrive on a non-stripped 671 that only makes about 10 lbs of boost and jetted to run fat. I could increase the overdrive or put on a better blower that I have but as Dave said it would impact the reliability and increase the maintenance requirements of the car. Since we are basically putting on demo runs just for fun (as opposed to real racing) I see no point in stressing things. So far the car has run a best of 8.21 and 166 mph. I don't know about a 7.50 but I'm pretty sure I could put the car into the 7's if I really wanted to. Maybe if it sells the new owner will do just that!

There is a build thread for the car on here if you care to look at it - "Sheets & Giggles".

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sheets at Rock Falls.jpg
    Sheets at Rock Falls.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 31
Bob w --- Just wanted to ask Sheets & Giggles a couple of questions on your thread, hope it is OK?

S&G - How does that short wheel base altered handle on a 8.21 ET pass?

- Is the car cage cert to 7.50 ET?

- How wide & tall are the rear slicks?

Thanks Tom

Latest posts

Back