Hello folks....from Canada

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howser57

I am new to the site and have been looking for a place to document my build and a place to ask questions of an experienced group of builders.

I am from the Toronto, Ontario area in Canada.

I have rebuilt several cars over the years including a couple of Camaros and 57 Chevys. I am currently re-building a 1953 Dodge Pilothouse.

My 57 Chevy is my "shiny" car and the 53 Pilothouse is going to be a retro style shop truck (I know, very popular these days)....but I am intrigued with the old trucks and rat rod trucks.

I see there are a couple of Pilothouse builds here, so I am sure I will pick your brains.

My dad bought this truck in 2000 and was in the process of restoring the truck, but has lost the ambition or time to finish it....so I took it over.

It has re-energized my dad to work on the truck, so we are building it together.

This is not a restoration, so I may upset some purists, as I plan to update the driveline with a later motor/transmission, rear end, etc. Also, the plan is to lower the truck...although not bagged at this time.

Also, I plan to put the old body with the original patina...and some fake patina (again some noted controversy on that topic as well) back on the frame.

I will start a build thread and add photos as I go.....

Here are a couple of photos....of my 57 and the new project.

The 57 photo is the only one I could find on this computer...sorry for the wedding shot.

The first photo of the Dodge is the day I agreed to start the project, and the second photo is the truck back in my garage after some clean up work and some initial frame and rear end work.

The fun has begun......

Talk soon......Doug

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN7066.jpg
    DSCN7066.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6856.jpg
    IMG_6856.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 31
Welcome from New Mexico.
Looks like you have a great start on the truck. Have fun with it and make it the way your want it. I doubt you'll find many ''purists'' on this forum .

Welcome to the site.
Tudor post, my favorite :cool:
The ole Dodge looks like it's in pretty good shape.
Pops is right on the purist part.
The only thing we are picky about here is, the safety of the builds ;)

"It has re-energized my dad to work on the truck, so we are building it together."

Way more fun when father and son/daughter are on a project. Your Dad was probably tired of working on it by his self.

welcome

0H goody another pilothouse, now l don't feel so alone[cl

the build thread of mine and my son's is linked below.

feel free to ask lots of ??? here. very knowable people and we like LOTS & LOTS of pics as we are a visual bunch around here.

safe is the only criteria, we don't criticize very much on this site, friendly folks to hang around with, so make yorself at home.

Later :cool:

Last edited:
Glad to see you're using Dodge powertrain in a Dodge.
I bet the 318 will fire right up. It may burn a little oil tho.
Did you open up the rear end? What gear ratio are in it?
Good luck with your build.

POPS, the gears are 3:55.....I am also betting there will be some oil burning/smoke.

I plan to update it later in its life, maybe a 360...the main goal at this point is to get it built, certified and licensed.

Welcome to the group [cl
The Chevy looks very nice and there's always room for a little loving. I'm guessing you wife is into the cars also [cl, it was her wedding you know :D
Keep us posted [P

welcome to rrr, from bama.

26Troadster, I get down to Huntsville and Athens, Alabama every few months.....

Welcome from Alberta! Don't you know we have already filled our quota on Canadians here? [ddd

Can't wait to see the progress on your truck!

Some of us are just better than dodging them than others, Crank :p

Snopro....thanks, I am seeing there are lots of Canadian's here....lot's of us trying to save these salt victims from the scrap yards.....

26Troadster, I get down to Huntsville and Athens, Alabama every few months.....

Snopro....thanks, I am seeing there are lots of Canadian's here....lot's of us trying to save these salt victims from the scrap yards.....

Yeah, Ontario is much worse for rust than Alberta. We still get our share, though.

Latest posts

Back