Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pouty face for your big block...

c4a11d5c1f453ea18fe8a715ecf7334b.jpeg

Well Bob you will get it tuned in no time. Are you heading south for the winter?
My grandkids in MI said they have had heavy snow already this winter. What size is the Bantam BBC motor? Is it a basic stock build? Happy Holidays :):):)

No pouty face here Dr. C, except for the fact that I seem to have to do everything 2-3 times to get it right.

Yes, Oi, any sign of life is a good sign. Gives me the confidence to keep putting it together.

Tom, it's a 468. Built at least 20 years ago. My brother had it built using a build article in a magazine. Supposed to be 500 HP.

We're leaving for Florida next week, for 6 weeks. Can't handle the cold. Don't like real hot weather either. Never satisfied.

Well Bob, 500 HP sounds like a nice pc of iron, should move that Bantam right along on your way to the local coffee shop. [cl Ya I never figured out when I was up on Whidbey Island in WA state why if it only needs to be 32 deg to make snow why does it need to get down to 10 or below?[S
Then again I'm a born & raised Southern CA dude that would not know real "cold" if it hit me in the face. Have a good time as always.:)

Third Time is a Charm

My friend Dave came over to help me bleed the brakes. Getting pretty close to starting and driving the thing. Well, he couldn't sit in it comfortably. Hardly fit in it at all. Twice its been redesigned trying to create more interior room. It was obvious that it still wasn't roomy enough. Granted, Dave is a bit thicker than I am, but if I want to sell it eventually, a prospective buyer has to fit in it.

So, out came the Sawzall and the angle grinder with zip wheel and in a few hours the interior was gutted.

Going to move the rear frame kick ups back 3". All this work for that small amount. I will be able to create a bit more shoulder and hip room too.

Going to raise the back of the body so the roof line matches the forward tilt of the frame. That little change creates a lot of work.

Here's a pic of the material removed and the interior space I'm working with.

Attachments

• Bantam Alterations 003.jpg
    Bantam Alterations 003.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Bantam Alterations 001.jpg
    Bantam Alterations 001.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Bantam Alterations 002.jpg
    Bantam Alterations 002.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 51
Ya Bob, that rear end and frame mounting section right where your seat and hip need to be does make for a very tight fit. Forth time is a charm [cl You'll get it if you don't run out of tubing first. ;) Glad to see you back at it. [P

I should quit building small cars that only little people can drive. If Rev. 3 doesn't work out I'm gonna take up stamp collecting.

The goal was to make a street/strip Bantam so I didn't consider a center steer.

One of my Poodles weighs 88 lbs. It ain't no lap dog. Besides, they don't like loud noises unless they are making them.

Went to the steel yard today for some...steel. duh Got one kick up moved back and tacked into place. Cut the original vertical member out. Will finish it tomorrow and do the passenger side. Then the moment of truth. Will it be enough extra room?

The first picture is the way it was. The second picture is the way it is.

Attachments

• changes 002.jpg
    changes 002.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 60
  • changes 004.jpg
    changes 004.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 63
Well Bob, that looks like a 6" to the rear move and i'm sure that will help.
88# is a lot of lap dog. You could build another dragster from what he/she puts away in food. Maybe a rear dog weight box seat for movable ballast.[;)[cl

So far the rear kick up has been moved back as much as possible, about 4". The rear frame is in the process of being widened creating 5" more hip and shoulder room. And the rear of the body is raised resulting in about 3" more head room. If all these changes don't make enough additional interior room, so a normal size person will fit, I'll give up.

Very disappointed, the March Meet is not live streamed this year. Oh well, more garage time.

Ha Bob, don't know what's up with the March Meet Streaming this year. I'm sure money is involved. Remember the Bantam is part race car so it will never fit you like a "Caddy". Keep at it my friend. [;)[P:cool:

You're right Tom. It's never going to be comfortable, just want to make it saleable.

The rear of the body has been raised so the roof line and the frame have the same forward tilt. Some head room was realized too. Used 2 1/2" square tube to widen the frame 5" The wheel tubs will be 5" wider now. It will get 1" wheel spacers to create the extra width. Might even be able to use some fiberglass bucket seats that have been in the basement for a few years.

Dug the tubing bender out and formed the main hoop tonight.

It would have been a lot easier to build it right the first time.

Attachments

• New Hoop 002.jpg
    New Hoop 002.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 39
  • New Hoop 003.jpg
    New Hoop 003.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 37
  • New Hoop 004.jpg
    New Hoop 004.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 35
  • New Hoop 001.jpg
    New Hoop 001.jpg