50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way too much sheet metal up there...had to do a ton of metal work to get it flat enough for filler...didn't really want to use a crap ton of fill...got cramps in my hands holding onto the dolly...LOL..

HEH HEH, I was actually thinking of making a jig to hold the dolly on the jack... The side to side areas are almost flat, I have a little more to do, but front to back will be interesting, I need a slightly larger hammer I think...

That roof is really looking good! nice work. [cl

I tried to bring my truck home last week end, but it didn't work out. Hoping this week end gets it home. Can't wait to get going on mine instead of watching and learning from you guys.

gold03

Thanks!
I hope you get your truck home soon too!

Then you get to see how much stress is induced when they form these roofs, and what happens when you cut them... :p

minor updates

Thanks for the kind words!

Been stitching the rest of the roof in, and grinding the welds so that I can panel beat the roof into shape.... I sorted out that the sand paper flapper style wheels do an awesome job of removing excess weld, and blending.... And I'm going to get a larger hammer....

Also finished up fitting the brake brackets, the caliper bracket is a little close to the rotor hat, but I am going to grind that back some......

Attachments

• DSC04043.jpg
    DSC04043.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC04044.jpg
    DSC04044.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC04045.jpg
    DSC04045.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC04046.jpg
    DSC04046.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 94
bigger hammer ,IE, ford tool

Dirtyrat ''I'm going to get a larger hammer....''

must be ford, when l work on 'em that is what l always say, hhahahhahhahhaaa:D

seriously, lookin better,

Later :cool:

mild progress to report

Trying to get the roof finished up on the welding, which is just about done, got the passenger door frame pretty well done, and started on the driver's side.
Also started stitching in the rear window and the rest of the seams.

The larger hammer is working out nicely [cl 2.5lb

On to the pics:

Attachments

• DSC04049.jpg
    DSC04049.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC04050.jpg
    DSC04050.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC04051.jpg
    DSC04051.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC04052.jpg
    DSC04052.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC04053.jpg
    DSC04053.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC04054.jpg
    DSC04054.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC04055.jpg
    DSC04055.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 86
I've been quietly following along on your build and I must say that's some really nice work your doing on this chop there rat. All your gaps and seams look right on. It looks to me like this is not your first goround. [cl

I've been quietly following along on your build and I must say that's some really nice work your doing on this chop there rat. All your gaps and seams look right on. It looks to me like this is not your first goround. [cl

Actually this is seriously my first chop... [;)
Not my first build, been doing builds for 25 years, but nothing this extensive...

I tell you, I appreciate the comments, and anyone who thinks this is easy and rat rods are just thrown together, must be plain stupid, I give all you guys a lot of credit for the work you all have done, and continue to do, its not simple.

Over the next couple weeks, I plan on getting the front axle together, and re-arranging the cab in the shop with the pontiac rear body panels behind it so I can really see what I'll be working with...

I'll try to get more pics up, I mostly finished up the doors, and the rear of the cab, and then I decided I didnt like part of the passenger side of the roof, I been working on that a bit, I may end up cutting out some of the filler panel and using a heavier gauge material to give it more rigidity, as I think using steel from another portion of the cab was just too thin.

If I get that wrapped up tonight I hope to do some mockups of the overall length of the truck, and see how the poncho rear is going to look.

So I finally decided I didn't like how the passenger side roof came out, and I cut out the filler panel last night, and started working on slowing down on welding, I've learned A LOT doing this chop, mainly what NOT to do, but that's the way it goes, two steps forward, one step back.

So, I got some 2" wide material .047" thick which is heavier than the roof slightly I believe, and it is more rigid that the roof material. I have the whole passenger side and back section setup now, all well tacked in place ready to finish weld SLOWLY =)

I also added a rectangular plate in the middle of the roof about 4" by 6" to give me some rigidity at the center of the roof, prior to that, I was really fighting the springback of all four corners coming together.

If I can work the passenger side to match the curvature of the driver's side then the driver's side will remain as is, if not I'll cut that out too.

Either way I'll take more pictures this weekend, and get them posted...

Excellent work on the cab. You mentioned the flap wheel grinding disc working well and i agree. Mine do not seem to last very long. Do you get good mileage out of these disc?

Excellent work on the cab. You mentioned the flap wheel grinding disc working well and i agree. Mine do not seem to last very long. Do you get good mileage out of these disc?

I have been using Diablo brand I think from home depot, they make 40, 60, and 80 I think... They lasted pretty long, I ground most all my welds with one wheel and there is still life on it, but I did pickup a couple more.

Still on the two steps forward, one step back, but getting there...

I think I finally sorted out most of the roof after cutting out some areas and starting over so to speak, I guess I'm still having trouble with things not being symmetrical but it is getting much closer now than it was =)

I think my next project truck will have to be a flatter roof, I'm really not a fan of these bubble roofs [cl[cl

Anyhow on to pics... hoping to wrap up the BS, finish welding and tin banging tomorrow night. Get the truck back on the casters, and move the poncho rear to the back for measurements.

Attachments

• DSC04056.jpg
    DSC04056.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC04057.jpg
    DSC04057.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC04058.jpg
    DSC04058.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC04059.jpg
    DSC04059.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC04060.jpg
    DSC04060.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 69
Thanks for keeping me going guys! It's getting there, with any luck it will be back down on the casters tonight sometime, I really have to establish the ride height of the cab, and rear section so I can start cutting up the 57 pontiac rear to narrow it cut the wheel wells, and tub it slightly.

I need to remember it is a rat rod, not a show car... 1st time building a rat, and 1st chop so sometimes tough to leave things alone when they are good enough...

Oh, and I am trying to sell the hemi actually... I am going with a more modern powerplant, I am trying to do a liquid propane injected F150 motor, at least that is the current plan, alternative fuel.

Last edited:
That roof is looking awesome! The extra cuts are for...oil canning?

gold03

Actually, the rear of the cab had a pretty big dent, and for whatever reason, it seemed like the passenger side rear and driver's side front were bubbled up more than the opposing corners, so that flattened out the passenger side, the drivers side I cut more of the original filler panel out, and re-did some of that area, I still need to metal work some of it, but its getting there...

I have a slight oil can in the middle, but that is because I really didnt think about it when I added my support plate, I should have curved it, so I'll be doing that with heat sometime when I get around to it...

The cab is down on its casters, so hopefully later in the week I can start looking at the ride heights, and sectioning the poncho.

Latest posts

Back