51 Willys Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup! "Stole" some parts off the IH cab I am selling; things that he was not going to use like a cool old heater, some switches, e-brake handle and oddball neat stuff. ;)

Like the Jeep theme. Keep it going!

I'm still making progress on small stuff. I'm currently working on my trans a little and a few other odds and ends. Hopefully I will be ready to fire the motor in the next week or two! Can't wait! In the mean time, I came up with a cool way to cover the ugly plastic gas cap that I'm still using from the toyota. It's a grease cap from a Willy's Knight.

gas%2Bcap%2B1.jpeg

gas%2Bcap%2B2.jpeg

I put in a heat shield for my master cylinder. Not sure if I like it or not so it may change later but it'll do for now. I also finished routing my plug wires and air cleaner.

Tonight's the big night for the first test firing of the motor!!! I hope it goes well. 5 plus months of work to get to this point. If I get it running right tonight, I figure I have about a week's worth of work left to get it drivable again. I'm getting really antsy to be out on the road with it again, that's for sure!

heat%2Bshield.jpeg

motor.jpeg

Got it fired up last night! After a little fiddling with timing, it runs quite well...at least for the short time that I left running. It was a bit late and the truck is not exactly quiet :D It's not unreasonably loud either, just loud enough that I didn't want to irritate the neighbors too much. It's been a long wait for this moment and boy am I excited to have finally hear it run!!!!

I really like the gas cap cover! I may have to borrow that idea... Got me thinking about a trim piece I have from the center of a steering wheel... Might look good as a radiator cap!

I came up with that while looking for hub caps to use as an air cleaner top. Then I realized that the logos on most caps are in the middle and would have to be drilled through for the stud which I didn't like. Anyway, I found those grease caps and had the ahaw moment. A steering wheel horn button would be a cool one too like you mentioned. I like the radiator cap idea for that as well.

I finally got to take the truck out on the road last night! Man is it ever satisfying to get to drive it! The noise and power are so worth the work! It still needs some tuning and fiddling and of coarse it will never really be "done" but it's driving!!!! I'll try to get some pics on the road a bit later.

Ya, I have my hood. 2 reasons I ask, first, I messed up on my headers and didn't acount for the offset between the banks. They cone ends are pretty much equal heights above the ground but because of that offset, the drivers side header hit my hood :eek: I'm not sure what to do about it yet. The second reason is that I like the way it looks with the hood off. I don't plan on driving in the rain intentionally but you get caught sometimes!

M roadster sat in a heavy rain for a couple hours this morning. Then I hopped in snd drove home in the rain. Made some nice rooster tails but didn't miss a beat.in

Do you mean a different filter element and if so, any recommendations? Or are you thinking a covered style air cleaner rather than the open one I have on it? Again, I'm hoping to not drive in the rain, just thinking of getting caught when I drive it to work or something similar.

Latest posts

Back