51 Willys Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the saw blade, but maybe a kitchen pot that was a few inches bigger and turned upside down. Something to keep the rain out of the paper element.

Looks sweet sitting on the street. Are those rain clouds?

Looking good!!! Drive on.
I've been caught in the rain a couple of times in my '48. I just put a plastic bag over the front edge of the air cleaner and kept driving. It was kinda wild with the spray off the duals.

Make or find a spare air cleaner cover that will do a better job of keeping rain out of the element. Toss it behind the seat, and you are "covered" when needed.

Or just cut a notch out of the hood, if you decide to use it. People can only look at one side at a time. :D

Thanks for the comments and ideas. I didn't get rained on yesterday so that was good. I like the idea of a spare air cleaner cover that covers the filter better to pop on if it rains. I still want to come up with something for the hood so i can run it if I want to. The notch is certainly an option and, like Skip said, you can only see one side at a time. I would prefer not to cut this hood if I don't have to since it's in really good shape. Anyway, I have time to sort it out and will mostly just watch the forecast and try to avoid the rain as much as possible. In the mean time, there are still lots of little things to finish up and the motor needs some tuning.

When I got my motor, I wasn't all that keen on the stock valve covers that had been repainted to ford blue not so long ago. I decided to try something on them and I think it looks pretty cool.

image%2B%252813%2529.jpeg

When I got my motor, I wasn't all that keen on the stock valve covers that had been repainted to ford blue not so long ago. I decided to try something on them and I think it looks pretty cool.

image%2B%252813%2529.jpeg
That helps. [cl

Now about that hood. It will still be a really nice hood.... With a really nice notch cut on one side. :D:D:D

I needed to drive in the rain a bit this weekend to run a errand that I needed a truck for. This is my only truck so I had to sort out my hood. I ended up spacing the hood up from the cowl by about half an inch. It looks fine for now i think. Now I want to sort out a quick release type setup that makes it easier and fast to pop the hood on and off since I like it hood less also.

hood%2B1.jpeg

hood%2B2.jpeg

hood%2B3.jpeg

hood

it give's a better flow of the lines with the hood on, l like it with the hood VS without, but that is just me.

the overall truck is cool, l would drive the heck outta it[cl[cl[cl

nice job:D

Later :cool:

I got an air conditioner!:D

My dad gave me this cool old Trico vacuum fan. I pulled it apart and cleaner it up and just got it installed in the truck last night. I don't have it fulled plumbed yet so I don't know how well it works but it seemed to work in my tests. I fabbed a little mount to mount it where the sun visor used to mount.

fan%2B1.JPG

fan%2B2.JPG

I also forgot to post a pic of the triple switch that I found a while ago. I have it hooked up as an over-ride for my radiator fan and my fuel pump. The third switch is going to be an over-ride for my air compressor once I get that sorted out.

switch.JPG

Looks good. I'll be watching to see how the AC works, I might need some thing come summer, l took all the fancy stuff out during the build. [S

Thanks guys! It is a really fun project! I think that I have decided that I like it better with the hood on too.

I was wondering about the vaccum leak thing too. Up until the early 60's, most cars had vacuum powered wipers which would be the same basic thing. I'll have to read up on it a bit more though. Even if that fan doesn't get used all that much, it looks cool :D

Latest posts

Back