Boom, and off went the oil filter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

I cranked my new 460 up only to find my oil filter on my shop floor after 6 seconds at 1800 rpm. Came apart at the seams,and the top where the seal is looks like a frisbee. Dammit! Oil pump relief valve?

Never seen it grenade a filter before. I do know there have been a lot of issues with frams is why I asked. I run wix on everything I own. Who know try a new filter, if it happens again then start diagnosing. This was after an oil change or out of the blue?

Never seen it grenade a filter before. I do know there have been a lot of issues with frams is why I asked. I run wix on everything I own. Who know try a new filter, if it happens again then start diagnosing. This was after an oil change or out of the blue?

No, this is a brand new 460 motor, that was built a while back. I bought a new oil pump for it, and was cranking her up for the first time. I think maybe the pressure relief is stuck. Looks like I will be pulling the pan tomorrow.

your saying frisbee shaped do you mean it bowled the outer edge back from the mounting surface? if it did that then it could be anything from a oil gallery being clogged to a bearing installed wrong. either way the relif should have worked. it very well could be a bad filter too. get a baldwin filter for it, a pressure gauge and a priming stick. run it up with a drill motor and see what it shows. my grandfather rebuilt a 400 mopar he got from me and on start up it blew the filter apart. he put a new filter on it and never had another problem. i have only seen two new filters do that, but lots of old ones. one was my grandfathers the other was a new baldwin on a 3406 diesel in one of our blast drills.

Yes, a reverse bowl shape outward. The motor was bare metal when I bought it. It had been completely gone through by a very reputable machine shop in Jacksonville ,FL. You could eat off the oil galley. I bought the oil pump new, but had been sitting on the shelf for a few years. It looked perfect when I installed it. I already primed the block before starting the motor. My 3/8" cordless built up 55 psi of oil pressure using a priming tool I had connected to the oil pump shaft. I have heard of some melling oil pumps having bad relief valves internally, and plan on raising the motor and tyranny tomorrow night, and dropping the oil pan. I'll take the oil pump off and at least check it. I may try another filter first, but I hate taking the chance of ruining the cam ,because it isn't broke in yet.

Did you get oil up to the rockers when you primed it with the drill?? Do you have the oil filter adapter on it(as in pic)?? If so, make sure the relief valve in it is working. And check the mounting bolt. It may be the wrong bolt with too small internal passage. Lets us know what you find. Good luck.

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 14
Did you get oil up to the rockers when you primed it with the drill?? Do you have the oil filter adapter on it(as in pic)?? If so, make sure the relief valve in it is working. And check the mounting bolt. It may be the wrong bolt with too small internal passage. Lets us know what you find. Good luck.

I have the filter screwed into the block ,stock location. I did , however use the short filter for clearance issues on the Fairlane. I did prime the whole system with a handy little tool I bought for my drill. I had oil at every rocker.

I'll have to go with the defective filter idea. There's a few oil gallery plugs that can be left out by accident but, that would cause low pressure and possibly no oil to the lifters and rockers, bearings and so on. If you have time, try running your priming setup and cranking the engine over with the starter, at the same time and see what kind of pressures you get.

I'll have to go with the defective filter idea. There's a few oil gallery plugs that can be left out by accident but, that would cause low pressure and possibly no oil to the lifters and rockers, bearings and so on. If you have time, try running your priming setup and cranking the engine over with the starter, at the same time and see what kind of pressures you get.

Will do. I think I'm going to use 10w40 oil also. I must say the 20w50 might have been enough to do it. And the fact that it cranked and immediately started running at 1800 rpm.mall of that ,combined with a brand new oil pump may have been enough to pop the filter off.

I blew one like that after I changed the timing cover on a 22R Toyota one time. Some models had a bypass hole drilled in them, some didn't. Mine was worn out where the crank mounted oil pump has scored it, so I replaced it with another one from a junkyard. After I blew the filter, I pulled the oil pump and compared the covers and saw the missing hole in the new cover. Drilled it out, truck ran another 150,000 miles before I pulled the 4 cyl to put in a Buick 231 V6, but that's another story.

I say your bypass is stuck or missing. Weight of the oil shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Well, it's official. My oil pump is wongo. I added more Lucas additive, and two more quarts of oil and the oil pressure shot up to 95 psi after starting it, and blew the seal off my new Motorcraft oil filter.

Dang... just when you thought u'd heard it all!!! [S

BoB

Yep, I've seen a lot in the last 30 years messing with other motors. Never had a filter low out before my eyes. When it went, I was about a foot away staring at the oil pressure gauge. Got oil all over my left shoulder, and face. Hahaha.oh well. The motor and tranny are on my shop floor, so I think I can just raise it up level and remove the oil pan

I remember my dad once told me he had that happen with a 250 Chevy. He said it blew off the instant the first cylinder fired. I think he said he put another filter on and did it again just to make sure. :rolleyes:
It's been many years, but I believe he said it was the relief valve in the oil pump as well.

Took the oil pan off and found an o ring missing from the relief valve, and it was locked up. I replaced the oil pump ,cranked. It up, and had 75psi at 1700 rpm, and after it warmed up , I had 68 psi at 1700 rpm.

Good deal, Blacksheep. I'm glad this all happened now instead of you going down the highway at 70mph. Are you going to raise h3ll with the pump people? I sure would. They can probably trace that pump back to the guy that put it together. Good luck with the rest of your build.

Well, being the tight azz that I am, I bought the previous oil pump as NOS in the box, off of Feebay. So, I think that one is just a paper weight. When I received it , it looked as if it had never been mounted, and in the plastic . But, who knows . Gonna crank it back up tonight. I was also told that I need to vary the RPM's big time, between 1800 and 2800 RPM's. This whole flat tappet motor thing is killin me , I tell ya. I hear about so many guys wiping the lobes on their fresh cams.

Latest posts

Back