Moons 50 CHEV RAT

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moon

Finally found & pulled the pics off my old phone of this project, so about time I show where this thing started & go from there.
First 2 pics is how I found it on a mates farm. It had been there for MANY years, with no motor or gearbox & many other things missing from it, but it did come with FREE RUST!
I asked my mate how much he would take for it & he said $500, nothing under.
I agreed, since these things are VERY hard to come by here where I am & especially at that price.
1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sorry to everyone, i was in the middle of putting up more pics with the first 2, when my computer had a hissy fit & crashed on me.:mad:
Anyway, plans are to try & do this thing as cheap as possible, of course, using what ever cheap prices I can get on things & what I can scrounge.
I am going to put the cab on a 73 Datsun/Nissan 620 ute (that's a pickup for all you in USA lol) chassis. I have a complete donor ute for the project, & have a spare chassis that it is currently sitting on while I size stuff up.
I have a mate I'm waiting to get back to me, about a Holden 253 v8 motor & I have a Toyota Celica 5 speed gearbox to go behind it. For the rear end I will probably go for something like a Commodore disk brake rear, but worry about that later, For now just concentrating on & taking care of the rust in the cab.
Anyhow, time for more pics.....

this is my mate who I bought it from, shortening it a little for me so I could get it on a trailer to get it home.

We used the front end out of a VN Commodore I had laying around to make a rough set of rollers for it. Yeah it was rough & rugged but it did the job :p

This pic is when it landed at home THE FIRST TIME. (I had to move house a while after this due to a divorce, so it traveled again)

These models were released through the Holden arm of GM here in Australia. This little badge is on the lower left side of the cowl, but it won't remain there as I have to replace that section. But a cool little badge anyway.

Ok, starting the tear down for the cab

And seeing what it looks like on the 620 chassis

I ended up grafting in this front end from a 66 HR Holden, more so I could move it around than anything, but because I have another ute now for the donor, I already have plans for another project using this chassis, so this front end is only temporary.

OK, the pics from here on in are taken at my new house, & it's been a fun time of creation :D
I started having ideas on what to do for a tub section so started playing to see what would come forth :D
I got hold of a rear boot cut of a 60 FB/EK Holden, I like the idea of fins so put it into the mix.

Then grafted the fins into some FC Holden ute rear quarters

Just had to sit some panels around to try & get a little glimpse of a future that might be lol

Here you can see the left side wheel arch & the rust issue I have to contend with. This is the GOOD side too, the other was practically non existent :mad:
This side is yet to be repaired.

More rust repairs

Stupid me didn't take a before shot of starting on this, but here you can see repairs in progress. I cut a round hole in inner here because of the setup I will use for speakers. I have some old headlamp buckets I will use in the holes either side & mount my speakers in them.

Am currently finishing of the floor. Been using/recycling the steel out of an old Commodore bonnet for most of the flooring, but just ran out of that, but as luck would have it, a mate gave me a big piece of sheeting he didn't want, so should be finished that in a day or 2. Then begin repairing that left cowl & guard section. Will keep you posted as I can,
Cheers all
:D

Very cool, seeing this come together with cars few in the US have ever seen. I've been googling these to get a look.

Latest posts

Back