Satin Paint

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchie

I now that we are all about the rust but I see that many of you have painted your rides
What are you guys(or Gals) usng product wise to get a Satin Finish. I am not looking for flat or primer, but a Satin finish.
Also what are you using to maintain the satin finish?
Any info you can share would be appreciated.
Pics would be great too.
Torchie.

SEM Hot Rod Black. Love it. Sprays nice, holds up well, and is just slightly off of being shiny. Kit sells for about $70 and I did my whole body with one kit, two to 3 coats.

Don

Same paint as Don used. Only problem I had was the garage was too dark and I couldn't see where I was going after the first coat. I bought two kits but used about 1 1/2.

Looks like Don did a much better job as his paint looks outstanding.

Thanks Bob, but yours looks good. The reason my is a little shinier is that I use wax on it to not only clean it but to protect it from gas spills, etc. I use Mequiars Tech 2.0 wax. It really only makes it look like freshly sprayed satin, not glossy paint.

Before I started waxing it I had a hard time keeping it looking nice and even a drop of spilled gas while filling up was a problem, but the wax has cured all of those problems. Try it, I think you will like it.

Don

satin paint

you can use base coat and add 10% clear to it. reduce it down 1:1 and add a dash of activator and your set. done it on several cars

I now that we are all about the rust but I see that many of you have painted your rides
What are you guys(or Gals) usng product wise to get a Satin Finish. I am not looking for flat or primer, but a Satin finish.
Also what are you using to maintain the satin finish?
Any info you can share would be appreciated.
Pics would be great too.
Torchie.

Torchie ,
I used good ol Rust Oliem satin ...... take a field trip an look..

That is dust that you see in the paint...

Oldog

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 117
where can you buy, auto paint shop or online?

Sorry, didn't see your question till now. I get mine at the local auto paint distributor, so if you check the ones in your area ask them if they carry or can get SEM stuff. At the time I paid like $70 for a quart kit and it goes really far.

Don

I use a rustoleum as well that only comes in a can, even called them to find out if I could get it in gallons, and no dice... rattle can it is... Satin finish stainless steel color on my rat.

I use a rustoleum as well that only comes in a can, even called them to find out if I could get it in gallons, and no dice... rattle can it is...

I find this odd. (Usually we get the short end.)[S

Rustoleum makes a product line (in this country) called Tremclad. I shot one side of my '38 with rattle cans, but it's readily available in quarts and gallons, water or oil-based.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• tremclad flat water.jpg
    tremclad flat water.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 116
  • tremclad.jpg
    tremclad.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 117
You can get a clear coat that is a semi gloss or satin finish. Paint the car what ever color you want then seal it with the flat clear. My 50 GMC is just DA'ed, wiped down with thinner and shot with a semi gloss clear...[P

Ah yes, Tremclad, did my whole Rat 55 project with it, gloos on the frame and interior, semigloss black with some flat to tone it down.

Attachments

• june 16 10 rat 55 027 b.jpg
    june 16 10 rat 55 027 b.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 47
  • june 16 10 rat 55 039 a.jpg
    june 16 10 rat 55 039 a.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 44
Has any of you used Summit's hotrod black or red? It's a single stage urethane and isn't real expensive. That's what I'm thinking about using.

Latest posts

Back