Russian Work Toys....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

22dodge

The other Dodge brother
My 5th post in the "BS" Lounge today, I must be full of it. ;)

Anyway, I thought I would post some of the "toys" that we work with over here in Russia.
I hope this is interesting to some, I enjoy working with them.
I have driven the Kenworth 8X8 (those are 66" terra-tires on the rear, cost 1 million $ apiece 5 years ago.
We have 2 of them.), air boats ( these come from Florida, G.M. diesel V-8 power), a Cat. 988 loader (seen trying to back a 20' container out of the soft sand, it finally did.).
But I have yet to drive the red & white search and rescue vehicle.
Articulated, with the biggest terra-tires I have personally seen. It is big and wide.
But I will drive it the first chance I get, if possible.
In the air boat picture, that is our drill rig on the horrizon. '22

Attachments

• Big Blue1.jpg
    Big Blue1.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 30
  • air boats 001a.jpg
    air boats 001a.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 988 oops 1.jpg
    988 oops 1.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 4X4 002a.jpg
    4X4 002a.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 4X4 005a.jpg
    4X4 005a.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 15
Man, those things are huge. :eek: Hey, I met a Russian girl today at the restaurant where I had lunch. Nice kid, and she speaks English really well. I heard her telling some people she has only been in America for a year.

As I was checking out I asked her why she came here, and she said they have a lottery where only so many people are eligable to come here, and she put her name in and was chosen..........so she came.:D She was telling the other people that there are quite a few Russians in the area, but I have never run into any before that I know of. Lots of Germans, French, and Latinos, but no Russians.

Don

How's the weather and people? That red and white almost looks amphibious with those big tires. Is it?

Weather is always changing, 70's in the summer, -40 in the winter. Occasional white outs and typhoons.
We are right on the beach, which freezes solid for 7 months of the year.
The people are great, I really enjoy working with them, and I have made some
very good friends over the last 3 years.
They want to work, raise their famillies, and not be messed with by the government.
But this island was closed to the outside world until 7 years ago.
So they are still adjusting to the changes we bring.

As for the red and white vehicle, I don't know. It is heavy, even with the floatation tires.
One way to find out for sure....I'll try to be there with the camera to capture the results...
I just don't plan on being the one to find out :D

Last edited:
22, those are some great toys. I am in to anything with 4 wheels under it, or 8 or a prop on the back, or...... well you get the idea. Thanks for posting the pics.

Hey, I met a Russian girl today at the restaurant where I had lunch. Nice kid, and she speaks English really well. I heard her telling some people she has only been in America for a year.

That has been the biggest problem for me learning Russian better, Don.
Most people 30 or younger speak good English. But I have met quite a few Russians in the U.S.
A couple of different girls in restaurants. Their name tag is usually short version of name (Kate for Ekaterina), but say "good morning, Ekaterina, how are you today" in Russian, and they will usually pull up a chair and chat for as long as they can. And my local Ace Hardware is owned by Russian brothers, they are always looking for the Russian news papers and such that I bring back for them to read. '22

Last edited:
22, those are some great toys. I am in to anything with 4 wheels under it, or 8 or a prop on the back, or...... well you get the idea. Thanks for posting the pics.

No problem, Bonehead. I have never been known to drive "normal" vehicles myself. My 2 girls still talk about being driven to their baby sitter's in my '41 Chevy 1 1/2 ton 4X4 or zipping around town in a Westcoaster 3 wheel scooter (they sat in the bed, backs against the cab) while we picked up a rental engine hoist or something. They even remind me of vehicles I have forgotten about occasionally. The more different, the better I liked it. '22

Do they get mad!?!?

I know u're a hot rodder & all... but I'm wondering if they get mad when u pull wheelies like in that 3rd picture?! ; - >

BoB

I work in a rich area of SoCal. Funny, I see a LOT of really old guys with young and beautiful Russian wives. Also Korean and Fillipino. Guess it doesn't hurt to have money.
To give you an example of the type of "Rich" people, a guy I know has a beautiful house. He's a Longshoreman, $125k a year for 4 hrs of work a day, 5 days a week (crane operator). He also rents heavy equiptment. His neighbor came over one day and said, "You work for a living! You don't belong here!".

I work in a rich area of SoCal. Funny, I see a LOT of really old guys with young and beautiful Russian wives. Also Korean and Fillipino.

I know a lot of guys here that are married to young Russian women.
And about half live in Cambodia, Thailand, Indonesea.

My younger brother is one of them. He came over 5 years ago, early 50's, single and not really looking.
Ended up marrying a young 25 year old with a legal degree.
They live in Nevada now, but he just took a job in Saudi Arabia and she will join him there.
She is in for a real cultural shock.
She loves her shorts and tank tops, but I told him to get a picture of her in the traditional head to toe "burka" that she has to wear in public. '22

cool pics 22...looks lke you enjoy your work...what is it you do?? i miss being around that bg equipment,i was in the army corp of engineer's for 6yrs..i had a lot of fun with the big stuff:D.....rooster

Talking about the younger/foreign lady thing.........a customer of mine came into work one day, he is about my age. Hadn't seen him for a while, and he tells me he has moved to Costa Rica. He whips out a picture of his girlfriend,and she is this 25 year old beauty.......a real knockout. I said "whoa, she's really pretty." He goes on to tell me the odds down there are like 400 to 1, and I know this guy and he is no BSer.

He has invited me down for a visit........but I have cars to finish. :D:D:D:D

Don

Todays play pictures...

cool pics 22...looks lke you enjoy your work...what is it you do?? ....rooster

Thanks Rooster. I manage the diesel fuel tank farm that everything runs on here. We receive diesel from Rosneft (Russian fuel supplier) store it, and distribute it to the hundreds of pieces of equipment here.
And we have to account for every liter :rolleyes:. Artic grade fuel.

Here is a photo of todays play time. They get the Ford 4X4 stuck every time.:eek:
Just makes it more fun to stand back and watch.. '22

Attachments

• air boats 013a.jpg
    air boats 013a.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back