I'm going to a storage auction again.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

There is a storage place near us that has me on their mailing list, and every 6 months to a year they hold an auction for the units that have fallen behind in rent. I went to one a couple of years ago and bought a unit, and basically, I broke even. There was a small 4 wheel ATV in there that only needed a battery, so I made ok money on it, but didn't really make much on the other stuff. This latest auction is on November 9th.

Then I went to another one they had, and I passed up a 10 x 20 storage unit that was JAMMED full of Edsel parts. It only went for $ 1000, and a guy could have made money on it, I think, but when I thought about having to move all that stuff, catalog it, research what the part fit, and then sell it, I decided it was too much trouble.

So, we will see how this one goes. They have 13 units being sold and an RX7 car. My Sons are praying I don't buy anything because I filled up the shop with stuff the last time. :D But I am going to be very selective and pass up the ones with household stuff and try to find one or two with tools or other equipment in them. I'm already practicing up my "YUUUUUUP !"

Has anyone else gone to any of these ?

Don

I've never gone to one but I do have a friend/neighbor who runs a body shop/used car lot and also has storage units. He has those auctions about once a year but I've never heard of anyone hitting the mother lode and the contents usually include some of his surplus stuff if you catch my drift. ;)

Yeppy.

I went to one a few years back. It was rumored to contain a 65 Mustang. There was a Mustang all right....a 1968 I think. It was completely disassembled and ROUGH! I walked when the bid passed 2 grand. Woulda left before but I was frozen in disbelief.

Another unit contained ALL of someones household belongings including toys and bicycles. I could even see a box close to the door with many years of tax returns! I found that amazing.

Lynn

I used to go to them until everyone thought they was going to get rich by paying a $1000 for a room full of trash.

I made almost all of my living by going to auctions for about 5 years. I usually dealt in buying things for scrap tho. Factory closures where my thing.

Ill see if I can find any of my pics of loads from auctions.:D

That is what makes up 80% of the stuff in them.........crap. I learned the hard way to avoid the ones with furniture and boxes marked "clothes."

I really feel bad sometimes when buying one because you are getting someone else's possessions. Not nice to think someone lost their stuff due to missing some payments. But if I don't buy it someone else will, and at least I sort out their personal papers and pictures and give those back to the office so they can contact the people to come and get those.

Don

On the reality shows they are always full of goodies even the ones with boxes of clothes have priceless diamonds stashed in them.Lmao :D

I've never went to one that you have to buy all the contents. I've been to a few where they pieced things out. Bought a box once that had family pics and a property bag from the county jail. Got a roll a way tool box one time.

Blue

That is what makes up 80% of the stuff in them.........crap. I learned the hard way to avoid the ones with furniture and boxes marked "clothes."

I really feel bad sometimes when buying one because you are getting someone else's possessions. Not nice to think someone lost their stuff due to missing some payments. But if I don't buy it someone else will, and at least I sort out their personal papers and pictures and give those back to the office so they can contact the people to come and get those.

Don

Well, at least in Florida you don't get garbage bags of outgrown kids snow pants and snowboots, which is about 50% of most units around here. I have a friend with units and I rarely see a month's rent worth of value in the abandoned units. Most of it goes out on the street corner with a free sign.

I took on an estate of Studebaker Lark parts to sell and you are spot on with selling that stuff. I worked my butt off in the beginning trying to figure out what it all was and had a couple of big well advertised garage sales. It took three years to sell a packed 20' container and worked out to about $1.99 a hour. I now no more about Studebakers than I ever wanted to but I got a chance meet some really cool people.

Don

I didn't do horribly on the first unit I bought. There was that 4 wheel ATV in there, and lots of furniture that I sold on CL. I also got a cement mixer and a ton of collectible Christmas stuff, like ceramic mangers, etc. So I either broke even or maybe even made a few bucks.

Yeah, I love on the TV shows how they find a Ferrari hidden among the mattresses ! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'll let you guys know how I make out this time.

Don

Well, this morning I went to the auction, there were 10 units because some of the ones they originally scheduled had paid up. But I bought nothing. Every unit was junk, mostly household stuff and not nice stuff at that. :(

I think I am going to quit going to these things, the last few have been really bad.

Don

Well, at least in Florida you don't get garbage bags of outgrown kids snow pants and snowboots, which is about 50% of most units around here. I have a friend with units and I rarely see a month's rent worth of value in the abandoned units. Most of it goes out on the street corner with a free sign.

Yeah, you get outgrown bathing suits and plastic flamingos !!!!

All I could think about when looking at all the sofas and mattresses in those units as BEDBUGS !!!!!!!!! :eek::eek: I'm itching right now thinking about them.

Don

Latest posts

Back