97 F-250 Oil Leak and Warning Lights

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip

Vehicle: 97 F250, 5.4 Triton V8, Automatic

Last night (after dark of course, this couldn't happen in the daylight hours) I am driving to deliver a pool cue to a friend. The engine oil temp light comes on, the engine coolant temp gauge pegs at full hot, the check engine light comes on, and the truck is still running smoothly as ever. I stopped and checked the oil. It was a little low, so I added some. Engine didn't act hot, idled great. So, I figure it is a warning message that something is messed up, and proceed. Sold the cue, and a case. Headed home. All the lights are back on. Since it is still running smoothly, I take the chance and go for it. 16 miles under 40 mph. Then the trans started shifting sluggishly from off the light. As soon as it was in high gear, it was fine, smoothed out, and purred. Got home, shut her down and went in and tried to relax. Don't need engine trouble a week before my plates are due, and I have to get through DEQ. :eek:

This morning, I drag my butt out to look at the damage. Engine fires like it is a happy camper and idles normally. Only the check engine light is on. Oil temp light is off, and the coolant gauge is reading cold. I noticed some fresh oil on the driveway as I was walking out to the truck, so I looked under the truck while it was running, and there is a steady stream of liquid lubricant coming from approximately area where the battery cable hooks up to the starter. I collected some on a paper towel. Smells more like engine oil than transmission fluid, although it doesn't smell much at all, and it isn't pink. Guessing engine oil for now.

I picked up a OBD II scan tool this morning. Still reading the book to figure out how to operate it. :D

A couple of posts on the Ford truck forums hinted at issues, but nothing that really matched up. Needless to say, I can't see "Jack..." down there from the top or the bottom. See pics.

Any of you (newer) Ford experts have an idea what might have sprung a leak in that area that could be causing all of this mayhem?

Attachments

• IMG_20170917_140503714_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20170917_140503714_HDR[1].jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20170917_140517217[1].jpg
    IMG_20170917_140517217[1].jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 13
QUOTE=Dr Crankenstein;483984]I'm a GM man... but, I've had issues with oil cooler lines, remote filters and block mounted adapters...

.[/QUOTE]Thanks,Doc. I'll add this to the things to look for. This truck is all stock. The symptoms seem more like a sensor thing, but the leak is what has me stumped. Plus I can't see anything...

The weather decided to get a bit wet today. I'm glad for the firefighters, but it is going to slow me down.

I need to get the truck in the air a bit more so I can get under it to look around better. The way it is poring on the ground, it must be spraying pretty good somewhere.

Need to call a friend to watch. Not big on being alone under a running truck these days. Even if it is too late for a Darwin Award.

Took a different tack on Google search. Asked about oil leak only. Got this:

https://repairpal.com/oil-may-leak-onto-starter-from-passenger-side-head-gasket-525

Not good news, but likely the issue. Lights and other stuff are likely side effects.

Anyone ever changed the head gaskets on a Triton? Dual OHC V8 engines are not something I have had to mess with in the past.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When discussing auto repairs, I always ask my friends if they would buy the car now, for the price of the repair, if it was otherwise in great shape.

Did some more reading. This is a common issue, and a very expensive one to fix. I have gotten more than my money's worth out of this truck already, and to be honest, I would likely buy it again if it had a new engine in it. So I guess I will be biting the bullet and having it fixed. It runs so freakin' good, I just love it. Its hard to believe the fix and a new engine are pretty much the same price.

Last edited:
If it were mine, I'd let it catch fire, roast some marshmallows and push the hulk in the river. [ddd

Just kidding. I hope you get away cheaper than expected and the truck serves you for another 20 years...

If it were mine, I'd let it catch fire, roast some marshmallows and push the hulk in the river. [ddd

Just kidding. I hope you get away cheaper than expected and the truck serves you for another 20 years...

Kind words from a diehard GM guy. Much appreciated. But the Eco-friendly side of me loves the river too much. :D I am heading out to find the next great truck in my stable. Then I will make an awesome CL ad that is sure to find this otherwise very nice truck a new home.

Something tells me my solution may not be "cheaper" though. :D:eek:

Not so Cheap Solution to My Truck Problem

I think blue Shelby GT 500 stripes may be needed.

Picking it up Wednesday, assuming financing doesn't fail.

Attachments

• IMG_20170919_154445801[1].jpg
    IMG_20170919_154445801[1].jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 14
You didn't learn much from the last Ford....:D
Thanks, Guys. Appreciate your concern for my well-being. :D

Yea, I've only had Ford trucks for about the last 50 years. Old dogs and new tricks. Right? Still have a '66 F250 that has had a couple fun transplants. It will go on the auction block soon.

Latest posts

Back