Need pics of fenderless trucks on s10 frames

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratsnest

Hello eveyone im new here...living on limited funds im thinking about putting my 1949 IH on s10 frame. i know alot of people dont like the fenderless trucks on s10 frames but as of now that would be the best thing for me todo.so thanks in advance for the pics..

Don't

Don't run a S-10 frame without fenders! It looks way to bulky up front and the radiator and grill placement is way too far out front. Make your own frame to fit your project, you will save alot of time in the long run.

Curt

I don't have a picture of a turd on wheels anymore, but I can tell you that's what it's going to look like. If you want to use the S-10 frame then put the fenders on it. Bustedknuckle brought up a few of the many issues involving the S-10 chassis, and there are many more - like that big steering box hanging out front. It just doesn't work with any sort of aesthetic. That '49 binder cab is way too big to run fenderless anyways. I understand being on a limited budget, but it's just the way it is...

I'd like to see some pics too. I got a 52 binder I'm goin fenderless with. Plan is to fab my own frame and run a 40's ford front end with split wishbones and suicide it. But. I also have been thinkin about an s-10 frame. Movin body as far back as I can, then z it up in back for the box. Up front I'd build it like a dirt racin modified, engine and radiator moved back,etc. It would give it a race look plus I'd have some common geometry to work with up front. Just some ideas.

Here is some pics of a friend of mnes truck its on a s-10 frame.
He used a rack on it instead of s-10 steering box it helped the look some
but i still thank it would look better with fenders to hide the A Arms.

Attachments

• 0826.jpg
    0826.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 629
  • 0827.jpg
    0827.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 656
thanks guys...i know they dont look that great but here lately at some of the car shows i have went to there seems to be more and more showing up.i live in N.Georgia [it might just be a redneck thing] but there are alot of fenderless trucks on s10 frames in my area..just wanted to see if i could get some pics of trucks like this from other areas..but what i have came to find is beauty is in the eye of the beholder.also i didnt think there were any rules on building rat rods, thought it was build what u can with what u have....also thanks tiny1 for the pics...anyway thanks for all your comments...

Yep, the front axle sits too far back for proper proportions. .... or the engine and radiator sit too far forward. But in the end build what ya got.

I got to see This one^^^^^^^^^ for 2 days in the swapmeet area. Truck was done right. But boy does it look like real ugly. The front frame horns are built up and way out there.

I think it may have been concreteman over at the HAMB that took that pic.

It might seem easier to use an existing frame, but you are going to spend alot of time & effort modifying it to fit your project and lots more time if you want it to look good (need to move the motor & radiator back, relocate steering box).

I was really considering doing something similar, by using an old chassis but got talked out of it on another forum. REAL glad I did too! Seems overwhelming to build a chassis from scratch but its just work, not rocket science.

I started from zero and was rolling on a totally new chassis in less than 6 mos.

heres 1 i built for someone else he loves it

Attachments

• ford rat 002.jpg
    ford rat 002.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 399
  • ford rat 003.jpg
    ford rat 003.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 244
heres 1 i built for someone else he loves it

Seriously, that's not a bad looking truck. I like the chop on the cab and the grill itself. However it might look tons better with a homebuilt frame.

Here's how most others turn out looking and it just throws the whole truck out of proportion. Almost every time I see an S10 fenderless rat truck this is the first thing I think of. :(

Attachments

• Autocar.jpg
    Autocar.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Build a frame

thanks guys...i know they dont look that great but here lately at some of the car shows i have went to there seems to be more and more showing up.i live in N.Georgia [it might just be a redneck thing] but there are alot of fenderless trucks on s10 frames in my area..just wanted to see if i could get some pics of trucks like this from other areas..but what i have came to find is beauty is in the eye of the beholder.also i didnt think there were any rules on building rat rods, thought it was build what u can with what u have....also thanks tiny1 for the pics...anyway thanks for all your comments...

Not sure where this S-10 frame thing started. For half the amount of work trying to get that body to fit on an S-10 frame, and half the amount of money, you can home-build a custom frame out of raw steel.

I took over a project truck where a farmer had severely butchered a 34 Ford PU trying to fit it on an S-10 frame. He gave up, I bought it, and built my own frame for $150 in steel.

Attachments

• IM007440.jpg
    IM007440.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 9-3-11 014.jpg
    9-3-11 014.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 315
Build an S-10 rat rod

How about just making a rat rod out of the S-10?

Attachments

• rat_rod_s10_2.jpg
    rat_rod_s10_2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 179

Latest posts

Back