I thought it was a rat rod.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarat

It was a 30's A rod, dinged and faded, last painted in 1965, had a wheel shaped racing stripe on the passenger suicide door when it flipped open while driving, hitting the rear wheel.

But it wasn't, dammit, and don't dare call it a rat rod says the owner. Rat rods have lawn chairs welded to their floors says he... Actually...I know someone that has a lawn chair welded to the floor... happens to be in a radical bagged chopped 49 Ford.....but I digress..

I remember hearing/reading about the distinction between authentic hot rods and rat rods, how there is a battle between these two religions. but I always thought they both began the same way. Do with what you have or build it/make it the way you want.

I guess mine would be considered old school hot rod, and this rodder preferred "survivor" for his. He did admit the creativity of those others.

So what is the story on this? Am I in the right place?

[S

Haha. I have the same thing going on in my head.... I started this 40 Dodge out calling the build a Rat Rod, but I've been putting so much time and work into the cab, doors, jambs.....the whole dam thing that the rusty or satin black idea went out the window. I want to throw a custom paint job on her, throw in a classy leather interior blah blah blah.

So now I'm calling her a fenderless hot rod....sometimes a refined fenderless hot rod.

My wife says.... this is great Bob, just what we need, something else that we can't take out if it's going to rain. LOL

It's not easy being me guys :eek:)

The lines between the different terms are really blurry for me. Maybe that's a good thing. The differences amongst 'POS', ratrod, hotrod, streetrod, and custom are usually a matter of opinion. I think we should stay mostly with the builder's opinion and not the beholder's, but, I have seen some builds that I would downgrade into a different category, and I'm only slightly opiniated. :rolleyes:[ddd

Anyhow, this forum seems to be for showcasing, building your car.
Your friend's Model A doesn't seem like a survivor to me. I thought survivors were stock factory, kept up, not modified once upon a time and then never fixed.

As long as you're working on old metal instead of it wasting into the ground or getting crushed, it's all good with me. It's especially good to see some of the younger generation get into this.

Haha. I have the same thing going on in my head.... I started this 40 Dodge out calling the build a Rat Rod, but I've been putting so much time and work into the cab, doors, jambs.....the whole dam thing that the rusty or satin black idea went out the window. I want to throw a custom paint job on her, throw in a classy leather interior blah blah blah.

So now I'm calling her a fenderless hot rod....sometimes a refined fenderless hot rod.

My wife says.... this is great Bob, just what we need, something else that we can't take out if it's going to rain. LOL

It's not easy being me guys :eek:)

Guess I’m going to take a look at what you are up to. I’m considering the satin black upgrade from the flat black primer. I did paint my rally wheels red tho....

My wife either loved or rolled her eyes at what I brought home. I discovered that my car looks better without wipers so I got the RainX speaking of rain.

I look at it as I'm building it for me. What others say doesn't matter much. Especially from those who don't have a hand built car or none at all. With a specific title you have to color inside the lines. I'm not very good at that.

I refer to one of our own's sticker. Animal made a bunch of them up and I'm lucky to have some.
They read "I didn't build this vehicle to your expectations or approval.

I built it to meet mine" With "BUILT NOT BOUGHT" surrounding a tooled skull...

Thanks again animal! It can't be stated any better!
attachment.php

Attachments

• 102_1162.jpg
    102_1162.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 48
If he said it's not a rat rod, then to him it's not a rat rod. I call my truck a hot rod. Most of what is called Rat Rods now are more of an art piece than anything drivable.

When I'm building something I have an idea of what I'm building in my mind and I build it. What arbitrary category it fits into isn't my concern. I also never try to tell someone their car is a rat rod or hot rod or whatever, or use the terms at all in a conversation with them. It's whatever they want it to be, and that's good enough for me.

Latest posts

Back