Area 46

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up this 42 Chevy on a 46 1/2 tom chassis with a Studebaker bed today.

It's what you don't see in this photo that's remarkable

I like this dash!

Dig those Cragars!

This is the 40 GMC I picked up last summer. I'm officially cab poor at this point.

This GMC is really nice and the most complete with windows that will actually roll down

Thanks for looking!

nice

Went through this last night and a couple times this morning. I am digging it. Nice job.

The wood practice chassis is super cool and definitely makes good sense. You should stain it with deck stain and use it as yard art...

May as well be cab poor, the economy sucks and it's probably a better investment than most.

I got a little bit done on the front axle this weekend with all my other chores. I got the bat wings pretty much done and tacked to the bottom plates. I also cut the chrome moly and tacked the bungs in.

Next up the upper shock mounts.

It won't be too long and I'll have a roller!

Thanks for looking!

More shocking revelations!

Here I am checking shock travel at it's minimum. It looks closer than it actually is. I might add bumpers on the bat wing that touch at the same time as the shock bumpers do.

Here it is at the maximum travel. I'm hoping it will come up higher than my 53 when under acceleration.

This was an area of concern. Making sure the spring will clear. I might do a little more trimming but it should be fine. It's hard to see from the picture but these upper mounts tilt back 5 degrees to match the built in castor in the bat wings and keep the shock bolts in equal planes. The mounts are supposed to be parallel also as the frame angles inward toward the front. The left side is not in this photo but that's why I only tack things at first. I have a tendency to screw up at least once on these things. LOL!

I'm reasonably satisfied with my results so far. Next up will be the pan-hard bar. I'll will pick up the parts tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!

Panhard bar, or diagonal link photo. This at maximum ride height at my theoretical ride height link is level with the axle.

Got some welding to do and getting ready for the swap meet so I might be quite for a while.

Thanks for looking.

Allrighty then! I just got finished up with the Sun Flower swap meet in Park City Kansas. It's a 2 day indoor event that has been going on for 40+ years. I was able to meet several of my needs for this project plus some other items. I also got rid of quite a bit of stuff I didn't need to boot. I'll most likely use all this stuff on this truck.

I was able to find a front mount pedal assembly that is almost new for about 1/4 of the cost of a new set. On top of that I found this aluminum fuel tank and Auto meter sending unit and gauge. I traded for the almost new 1850 Holley and polished HEI distributor. Picked up the battery box also.
I have an 2000 model Vortec short block with roller cam and a late 90's new venture 5 -speed I'm going to use. I need to figure out what heads I want to use. I also will need to go thru the 350 with bearings and rings. All in all it was a great swap meet this year.

Thanks for looking

As promised I have some roll out photos for you. Here is a look at my lovely assistants Emily and Alexis.

Checking the turning radius

A good look at my new front bar.

Thanks for looking!

The shop is only about 12 years old. I sided it with materials from a barn I recycled. I used as much recycled materials as I could come up with. I would guess it is about 50% used stuff. Even the footing on 3 sides was already there from another old barn. There was a 35' tree growing in the middle of that footing and it took a while to get the stump cut out.

Hey TW , I love the look of reclaimed stuff and using it myself....
if you wouldn't mind sharing a little more of the shop I'm sure
I'm not the only one with interest.....

The chassis looks great and i your helpers look happy about helping [cl

And yes "nice shop" recycle is a good thing, kind of what we due [;)

Latest posts

Back