64 Chevrolet C10 SWB

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zpi28

Got the 64 loaded up yesterday and hauled it to my house this morning.
IMG_20120924_130032.jpg

IMG_20120925_141744.jpg

IMG_20120925_135347.jpg

Got it home and unloaded.
IMG_20120925_144452.jpg

I have had this truck for almost 23 years now, got it when I was 15. We restored it and it was mine at 16. It went through my teen years and then 4 years of drag racing and now its been sitting for about 13years. Its time to get the truck back on the road. When I got home from the Army in 97 I put disc brakes and 5 lugs front and rear out of a 71 GMC. Wanted to chop the top on it but I just got a 51 Chevy Cab for a rat so I may keep the cab as is. My kids are ready to help me with it which will make the 3rd Generation working on it. Here we go.

I like the truck..well, both of them alot..

We sure had some goofy taste in stripes and such in the 90's didn't we? My 67 Camaro..where's the barfing smiley:D:D

67camaro-1.jpg

I like the truck..well, both of them alot..

We sure had some goofy taste in stripes and such in the 90's didn't we? My 67 Camaro..where's the barfing smiley:D:D

67camaro-1.jpg

There were several truck in town that had some AWESOME stripe jobs on them. My dad painted 3 of them, mine was the first one. It was a great high school ride with a 327, 11:1 pistons, and 3.73s burning no less than 91 oct. I never got to by the .87 cent gas I had to have the 1.11 premium to keep the pinging away.

My plans are to get it back in safe driving condition. Will probably get my 468 dropped into it. I had wanted to chop it 4" but I just got a 50 model cab thats going in the garage to be chopped and rodded. So I may just do a frame off without a chop. I havent decided on a color, had I not already had some body work done I would have just left it as is with the 22yr old paint job.

Yup ditch the 90s racing style stripes...... Other than that the truck is sweet!!! Put some bags on it, and some nice wheels and I would say you are all set.

Cool truck ![cl Boy, time and the weather was not kind to that paint job ! It wil be interesting to see how some of these new water borne paint jobs look in another 20 yrs....

Cool truck ![cl Boy, time and the weather was not kind to that paint job ! It wil be interesting to see how some of these new water borne paint jobs look in another 20 yrs....

Im sure it could have been alot better had I not let is set out for the last 13 years not driving it. This was our very first 2 stage paint job back in 1991. I am not real sure what color it will be next, ive kinda wanted it white with some blue flames, or scallops. We will see. Thanks.

Yup ditch the 90s racing style stripes...... Other than that the truck is sweet!!! Put some bags on it, and some nice wheels and I would say you are all set.

Thanks, I have been eye balling some porterbuilt stuff for this one. Bags would be nice indeed.

Due to moving and working on other projects this truck was still on the back burner for the last couple years. I did drop in a sbc to get it running and moving on its own power. Its about all hooked up now. I pulled the tank from behind the seat and have a fuel cell to mount in the bed for now. I have to install a proportional valve for the disc brakes and install a new mastercylinder setup. Then I can at least drive it around some while working on the rest.

I do have a 402 BBC motor that I am building for it. I would like to get the big block put in sometime early next year.

But in the mean time I have started working on the top. I am going to do some old school Gold with large metal flake on the top only. May throw in some burgundy scallops with some pin stripping.

I did get my seam sealer in the mail yesterday so I can get that done this weekend and finish wet sanding the top. Here is the metal flake that I will be putting on top of the Saturn Gold Firemist paint.
This is the big stuff .025
The normal flake we use is .008, this is 3 times bigger. I had to buy a paint gun with a 2.5mm tip to spray it. This will be my first time using this large flake so its going to be a trial and error thing.

Due to moving and working on other projects this truck was still on the back burner for the last couple years. I did drop in a sbc to get it running and moving on its own power. Its about all hooked up now. I pulled the tank from behind the seat and have a fuel cell to mount in the bed for now. I have to install a proportional valve for the disc brakes and install a new mastercylinder setup. Then I can at least drive it around some while working on the rest.

That gold flake is going to look awesome! By the way, what's that green stuff on the ground? [S :D

I think it would be cool to paint it just like pops did, no matter how poor the general taste in custom strips were back then. And get rid of that bashed up grill.
I wish I had my high school ride back.

I have considered that also, I have another grill but its a steel grill so it will be painted. Ill think about it more after I start driving it. I do know that I am replacing the rotted rocker panels. I already have the new ones ready to install. My brother still has his High School ride also.. 79 Dodge Lil Red Express.

I have considered that also, I have another grill but its a steel grill so it will be painted. Ill think about it more after I start driving it. I do know that I am replacing the rotted rocker panels. I already have the new ones ready to install. My brother still has his High School ride also.. 79 Dodge Lil Red Express.

Cool on the Lil red wagon.
Some guys used to get the steel grill chromed, looked great and way tougher than the flimsey aluminum ones. But I guess chroming has gotten super expensive with all the epa regulations shutting most of the small platers down.

Was able to get it done this weekend.
Wet sanded and seam sealed.

This paint looks wild.

Basecoat on

Metal flake in first coat of clear

Rust and paint

Installed my shifter and some gauges.

And my JVC radio that I got back in 1991 for this truck. I installed a sbc in a olds cutlass for this radio a amp and speakers.

Latest posts

Back