64 Chevrolet C10 SWB

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe all Gold outside with some Burgundy Scallops on top to match the interior. We done this interior 25 years ago and its still in good condition. My mom and dad did all the work. Im going to keep it like it is. Will be recovering the seat and visors.

Looky there....

ZPI's got "NAWS" in his truck!!!!!!!!!

The top looks killer!
Nothing better than an old chevy with a big block in it.

Picked up a small comp cam and ordered a dual plane intake yesterday for this 402.

Also got my powerbooster combo in for the truck. Hope to get this put in this week. Its a Zinc plated Bel Air booster with a C10 rod kit. 7" so it should clear the BB valve covers just fine.

Thanks,

Had some time to work on the truck so I jumped on it. Adjusted the valves and installed my new power booster combo. I was letting it run and noticed that the oil pressure was dropping. It went from 50 psi to 5 psi but would jump up when I revved it. I checked the dipstick and it was overfull. Yeap full of gas. I had blew the power valve when I first put the motor in and had the distributor 180 out. So I put in a new power valve and changed the oil. Now its back up to 50 psi and running alot better.

The oil splash on the hood is from the oil squirting when I had the valve covers off. Its oiling very well.

The booster was alot easier to install than I expected. I did buy a kit for this truck though. I used the original holes for the bottom on the booster and only had to drill the two top holes. The rod arm and clevis had to be cut about 2 inches but it was very straight forward. I hooked right to the stock peddle with the included hardware. Now I have to install my proportional valve and run some brake lines. Very close to driving it again after 15 years of letting it set.

Got some more good progress on the truck this week. I found that the mechanical fuel pump is putting out 12 psi which was pushing full past my float and flooding the cylinders. Got a regulator on it now set to 6 psi. Swapped out the 750 vac secondary for a 500 Holley 2bbl. This should be enough for the 305. Now its running alot better. I finished installing my brake lines and proportional valve. Bled the brakes till I got enough pedal to drive it. I put my daughter in and we took off down the road. First trip in 15 years for the old truck. I ended up driving it up and down the road about 5 times and each time it felt better. Now to swap out all the brake hoses and wheel cylinders and install my transmission cooler. Hope to start driving it to work, which is a 90 mile round trip, in the next few weeks.

Feels good don't it? I'm surprised that motor ran at all with a 750 on it. I'm running a 600 on my 305 in the 31 and not having spruced internals up on the motor, the 600 is still a little rich. Runs great on the highway but has some stumble if I'm in the city at stop and go traffic. Every time I stop at a light or stop sign, I clear the throat a little...The other 305 I'm putting in my c10 is built very well and 40 over and runs great all places with just a 600. I have considered stepping down to a 500 on the 31. Please review us on the 500 and how the motor handles it.

The 500 Holley is working great so far. I havent really driven it a whole lot yet but I start it and let it run often. I drove it 6 miles yesterday and it runs great. For a 305 its not a powerhouse by no means but it will be fine for cruising till I finish my big block.

I was turning around a at farm and decided to stop and talk to these 2 old guys working on a tractor. I had seen a 61 Chevy grain truck sitting in the weeds that I was interested in getting the cab off.

I introduced myself and told them who my family was. They know my dad and one of them worked with my father in law just a few years ago. He asked if I had been asking around about the grain truck. I told him that i was interested in the cab. He then asked if I had seen the other old truck back there. I told him NO. He took me back down a field and showed me what appears to be a 1964 C10 Panel truck. He said they drove it back there an parked it years ago. Then he told me that he grain truck I was asking about had a 327 out of a 69 Impala. It was parked because of a burnt clutch. Imagine that.. :D

We got back to the tractor and I popped my hood and we talked about old cars. He asked me if I need any parts off the Panel truck. I told him I wanted the whole truck and the cab off the grain truck. He said he will talk to his buddy and let me know. He said maybe we could do some trading.

Ill be going back in the next few weeks to check on it. Im not in a hurry since I have other projects. These are only about 3 miles from my house. Pictures to follow if I can work out a deal.

Made my first real drive on Tuesday. Put about 50 miles on it and it done great. Went to the exhaust shop and had my pipes put on. Went the the tire shop and got some new Rubber. 235/70s and 275/60s installed on some 15x8 Rally wheels. Finished up my brake work and serviced the transmission. Just ordered a 1 piece oil pan gasket to fix this oil leak. It still rides good just like 16 years ago. Going to put another 100 miles on it tomorrow. Got to make sure all the bugs are worked out before I drive up to Newport,KY next month for a club meet. Oh and I put a 1/2" sheet of plywood in the bed for now so I can haul my tool box and spare. New wood is on the list of repairs.

Even got my new Keychain hanging.. :D

Installed a new headlight switch yesterday. Now the dome light and dash lights are working again. [cl
Also put a new key switch in since the original would allow to stick anything in it to start it.. (jokes to follow)

Put some more miles on it and its doing pretty good so far. It did start missing after about 45 minutes of driving. Once I shut it off for a few minutes it was fine. The autolite plugs in this motor where already in it from its previous life in a Nova. I picked up some R45TS plugs today. Going to put them and some 90 deg boots on tomorrow. June 9th I will be heading out on a 7 hour drive up to Newport Ky. Hopefully all the bugs will be worked out before then. :D

Latest posts

Back