1949 Business coupe update

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again a really cool build....I do wish you woulda stayed all Mopar but totally understand why you used what you had.....I cannot believe how much you had to cut the firewall.:eek:

I'm not much of a Ford guy, either; only had a few in my life. Originally the plan was a Mopar small block but I figured I already had this engine and it would make a good power/gas mileage combo. But the farther I've gotten into it, the more I like it. I couldn't believe how much I had to cut the firewall, either! It's a weird design; the heads are really wide,the drivers side head sits significantly further back on the block than the passenger side, and all the upper radiator and heater connections will originate from the back of the engine.

But it should be an attention getter and if anyone asks what's in it, I can still say, "It's just an old six banger!";)

Technically its a yamaha engine.
But it was very good for its time, they have spun these up to around 10K rpm as well with very little work...

Yes dirty rat you are correct! just like the saab borrowed engines in GM vehicles (catera/cts).... seems that the borrowing game has been going on a while.

Technically its a yamaha engine.
But it was very good for its time, they have spun these up to around 10K rpm as well with very little work...

Actually, the plan calls for removing the "Ford" and "SHO 24 Valve" off of the intake runners and putting on some kind of Mopar tag. That'll keep some people guessing.

I agree, these engines have a popular following and are were very high rated by several consumer agencies back in their day.

Yes dirty rat you are correct! just like the saab borrowed engines in GM vehicles (catera/cts).... seems that the borrowing game has been going on a while.

Blah, don't get me started on GM stealing technology... they put Saab out of business by taking controlling interest, and blocking outside investment...
Wonder why they have good 4cyl turbo motors now? [S[S

Anyhow, enough of the threadjacking, I think taking the lettering off will be a nice touch, definitely keep people guessing... will be hard to disguise that intake manifold though, very distinctive...

Seems like everyone around here is using a cool engine but me. My poor old F250 runs ok, but she will never keep up with you guys........

An F250 sounds like it's begging for a diesel swap! I think that's my next project; i've been thinking of building a daily driver with a late 80s Astrovan and a Cummins 4BT.

Not a lot of car stuff done today; I had a big list of honey-dos since we're doing a family BBQ tomorrow plus it was really hot out. I did do a trial fit on the intake. A few things you have to do to turn the intake to face the front is to grind the EGR passage off the intake, cut the top lip off of the timing belt cover, and put some 1/2" spacer plates under it. I've got a water jet guy cutting the spacers, the other two items are done. Looks like it's going to fit in the firewall just right.

Attachments

• IMG_4035.JPG
    IMG_4035.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4034.JPG
    IMG_4034.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 59
It'll be different, that's for sure. So far it's all going pretty smooth. I got my oil pan back today; the guy did a nice job and it fits around the tie rod perfect. Also set up my accelerator using the pedal and cable from the Taurus. Literally a bolt in, didnt change anything and the pedal travel and location is just right. I pulled the belt tensioner off the power steering pump bracket and will move it to the other side of the engine. I just need to design a bracket for it and find a belt the right length.

Tomorrow Im going to pick up a set of small block Ford 1 1/2" long tube headers I found on CL and will use those and the flanges Im having made to build some headers. I had some 3.8 Mustang ones but they are not going to work out.

Attachments

• IMG_4036.JPG
    IMG_4036.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4037.JPG
    IMG_4037.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4038.JPG
    IMG_4038.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4039.JPG
    IMG_4039.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4040.JPG
    IMG_4040.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 44
I got these headers tonight from a 351M. I think the passenger side is going to work out really well as the tubing spread is almost exact once you cut off the last tube. As soon as I get my flanges back it should only take a few short 45 degree pieces to put this one together. The drivers side will be a little tougher; i have to work around the steering column

Attachments

• IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 40
I was hoping to be building headers today but my flanges aren’t done yet so I tackled some other jobs. I got a bracket made for the belt tensioner. It came out pretty decent; I’ll have to add a rear support off of the motor mount for it one I mount it permanent. I also finished welding in the setback on my firewall and filled about 15 holes that will no longer be used. I patched a couple holes in the floor where the old accelerator and MC access panel were, made a new MC access panel, and made a panel to go over the trans tunnel where I had cut it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG