1963 Rambler American "The Slambler"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nash Nick

Well I just joined here and figure I might as well get a build thread started for my car. Its is a '63 AMC Rambler American. I bought the car from my buddy's brother about a year and a half ago and have been working on it ever since!

A Little Back Story:
When I was young, my father and I restored a 1954 Chevy 210 2 door sedan together. It was a 3 speed car with the 115 "Blue Flame". I loved that car but sadly he had to sell it before I could even drive it on my own (I drove it a few times when I had my permit though!). Ever since I've wanted a 3 on the tree car of my own. The Rambler had been sitting at my buddy's shop for a while and I always told him that if/when his brother sells it, I would buy it. After a year or 2 I got a call, the price was right, and it was mine!

Here's the car the day I bought it:

Perfectly good chrome painted black! :eek: Fixed that quickly!

I had a lot of different ideas for the car at that point but I knew I wanted to bag it and I knew that the original patina was staying as is. I decided against a bag on leaf setup (the Americans aren't torque tube) and decided to give a universal 4 link kit a shot. With these cars being unibody it was pretty awful to do and it still needs some work but over the summer of 2014 I got the 4 link in and over the winter I made brackets to bag the front trunnions. Got a set of Jeep wheels on the cheap from my girl's dad and the car wasn't looking half bad!

I made my own air management using a micro controller too! Threw in some new carpet and made some door panels also. Drove the car a bit over the summer and got a lot of positive comments which is always nice! The poor flathead was burning a lot of oil though and after doing some research and such I realized it wasn't really worth rebuilding which puts me where I am now.

The Build:
I did a lot of reading about swaps in these cars. People claim that 200ci Ford 6's are common swaps because they are small like the AMC/Nash 196's but I couldn't find a whole lot of info from people who had actually done the swap. I did find that the T96 trans is basically the same as the Ford 2.77 "crash box" 3 speed and that with a 2.77 bell housing my t96 would bolt up to the 200, so I found a nice 200 and a 2.77 with a bell housing on Craigslist and bought them!

Bye flathead!

The 196 and the 200 side by side.

Turns out the input shafts are different, the T96 input shaft is longer and fatter at the end. Great. Well I was planning on rebuilding the trans anyway so apart it went to rebuild and machine the input shaft to match the 2.77 I now have! I still need to sort out the engine and trans mounting. Also the 200's are typically front/mid sump while the 196 is rear sump to clear the steering so I'll need to fab up a pan before I can even test fit the new engine but I'm excited to have more power and more reliability!

A T96 in 96 pieces (ok maybe like 12 but you get the point :D )

Another side project for this winter is new management and an 8 valve air setup vs the 4 that is in it now. I have been working on the new management that has more presets and better functionality as well as an LCD display...

in the stock radio bezel! Also made one for my buddy's '64 Belair! (his is on the left) Well anyway let me know what you all think and I'll be updating this regularly as I move forward with my plans!

that 200 Ford is very limited on HP thanks to the cast-in 1 bbl. carb intake.

hunt around for a Jeep 4.0 I6 and travel in style, you'll be glad in the end.

Unfortunately the 4.0 or even the later AMC 6's are too long to fit in the engine bay without a lot of cutting! The power that the 200 makes is a big leap from the tired old flathead and I'm fine with that. I have a Toyota Supra for when I want to go fast :D

Welcome Nick Nash, like where you're going with this.....
any pic's of the suspension mod's? and will you be sharing
the air management tips or putting a patent on it , no secrets
now......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Welcome Nick Nash, like where you're going with this.....
any pic's of the suspension mod's? and will you be sharing
the air management tips or putting a patent on it , no secrets
now......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I may have a couple laying around but I'll get some more once the car gets further torn apart!

I have no problem with giving some management tips, especially because I've figured out how to build a 4 corner "e-level" management for less than the price of typical pressure based management. I haven't gotten the coding perfected yet but its getting there!

I was thinking about building and selling them once I got the coding and user interface bug-free but after putting my friend's management together I realized that unless I can get a full "universal" harness made by a company, I'd probably never build a setup complete for anyone ever again :D too much soldering!

Finally started working on the car again so its time for an update! My main focus is the swap for right now and I'm trying to pull it off in the easiest (yeah I know, good luck...) way possible. By that I mean being able to reuse as much of the original stuff as I can (shift linkages, driveshaft, etc) so that meant mounting the transmission in the same (or very close) location as it originally was. The original tranny mounts were on the bellhousing but the 2.77 ford bellhousing does not have these mount points so I started from scratch. Ordered a "universal" crossmember that uses a GM TH350/400 style mount and got to work!

The first thing I did was drill and tap the bottom of the T-96 so that I could bolt up an interface plate that would then bolt to the tranny mount. I was hoping that I could bolt the mount right to the trans but the casting was too narrow for the bolt patter of the mount. Here's the trans midway through modification mounted to my drill press.

Then the car went up in the air and with the old bellhousing/mounts bolted up and bolted in the car and the pinion angle "set" I started fabbing up the rest of the new mount/crossmember! Here's where I'm at right now:

I realize now that the pics I took are pretty dark... Tomorrow when the mounting of the C-member to the car is done I'll get better ones! Then on to the engine mounts and oil pan!

look for a pan and oil pickup tube from a Bronco or pickup they should be rear sump.

I've been searching a lot for pans along with an 8.5" flywheel! The only flywheel I've found so far is in North Dakota and I'm hoping to buy it this week haha. It would be really nice to not have to make a pan and pickup tube but it will depend on what I can find in the next couple of weeks. I'm anxious to get the old 200 fired up!

The crossmember is in! I'm really happy with the fitment, trans position, strength, and ease of removal/mount replacement!

Even just tacked in it is really solid. I checked the ground clearance with the car aired out and I have about an inch from the hardware to ground, which I'm really happy with.

I plan on removing the factory member completely and mounting the E-brake linkage to the new crossmember. That will give me a lot of extra room to run a 6-2 stainless header!

Interesting to see something different like this. Thanks for showing us what you are doing Nick.

I agree, that's what makes this site so cool :cool:

Thanks guys! I've been learning a ton in the process and it's nice when a design in your head actually works out well when the welders and grinders come out! I love that this car is different but it has also caused me a lot of anguish because EVERYTHING that I've done and most of what I want to do has to be custom. Bolt in upgrades would be too easy though wouldn't they? :D

Another reason for this build thread was to make sure that I well document the 200 swap for future Rambler modifiers! People on a bunch of forums make it seem like the 200 swap is easy peasy, but I've come to realize that while it is a lot easier than cutting the front end apart for a V8 swap, there is still a good amount of fabrication and rare part retrieval needed to do the swap "correctly".

Latest posts

Back