53 Dodge Pilothouse Shop Truck build...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howser57

Hi folks, I am new to this site, and wanted a place to post my build and ask lots of questions....this is the first custom build I have done...I have done restorations, but this is more of a "rustoration".

The plan is for a shop truck...somewhat like a "rat rod" but not as radical and wild as some of the cool trucks I have seen on this site...although, your builds are an inspiration for great ideas....

These photos are the starting point for my project....I just started a couple of months ago.

Here goes the fun......

Attachments

• DSCN7068.jpg
    DSCN7068.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN7069.jpg
    DSCN7069.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN7183.jpg
    DSCN7183.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6995.jpg
    IMG_6995.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6998.jpg
    IMG_6998.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN7067.jpg
    DSCN7067.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 39
I am adding some photos from the first few projects on the truck over the past couple of months...I picked up an LA 318 with a 727 trans and a 8-1/4" rear end...I do want to keep this an entirely Dodge build. I am not sure if the engine runs, the guy I bought it from said it did...but who knows...it was cheap. I did take off the oil pan and intake things looks OK....it turns fine...so for now, it will work as I make the frame modifications and all the electrical and plumbing hook-ups.

Here are some before and afters of the driveline components....

Attachments

• DSCN7127.jpg
    DSCN7127.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN7130.jpg
    DSCN7130.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN7146.jpg
    DSCN7146.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6715.jpg
    IMG_6715.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6910.jpg
    IMG_6910.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6911.jpg
    IMG_6911.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 51
I "C" notched the frame and boxed it back in.....and I custom made some motor mounts. I used the original 318 brackets on the motor, but had to shorten them to get them closer to the block. I custom made the frame mounts for the motor...they are bolted to the frame and welded...I also fabricated the transmission crossmember....here are some photos...I just finished this up last week.

I am a rookie welder, so the welds are not the prettiest....but effective.

Also, this fall I had the front axle sent to Sid's to have it dropped...I also added the Rusty Hope brake conversion to disc brakes on the front.

I have to work through all the tie rod and drag link challenges over the next couple of months....so if anyone has dealt with that, I could use some advice.

Attachments

• IMG_7243.jpg
    IMG_7243.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7263.jpg
    IMG_7263.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7262.jpg
    IMG_7262.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN7492.jpg
    DSCN7492.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN7475.jpg
    DSCN7475.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7026.jpg
    IMG_7026.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7228.jpg
    IMG_7228.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7256.jpg
    IMG_7256.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 55
Skull, this is an intriguing idea...the photo on the right looks like a rack attached to a solid axle....is that something that you built?
The only way this will work is if the axle were mounted solid to the chassis.
This will not work, the rack will move with the axle and no way to hook the steering shaft to it.

The only way this will work is if the axle were mounted solid to the chassis.
This will not work, the rack will move with the axle and no way to hook the steering shaft to it.

To make it work like that you will have to have a slip joint in the steering shaft, as well as a coupe of universals. The steering shaft in cabover trucks works that way, when you raise the cab, it extends but stays hooked up. Conventional cab semi's with a air ride cab work that way, too, to allow for the cab to move with the air ride. They are just reversed, the cab moves and the steering box is solid.

no

Originally Posted by Howser57

"Skull, this is an intriguing idea...the photo on the right looks like a rack attached to a solid axle....is that something that you built?"

nope, l sub-framed mine with a 1976 nova/camaro clip.

much easier for me since l had a friend who has done about 2 dozen or so clip jobs on a lot of different rigs.

the R&P idea may take some research but l have seen them on rods with straight axles at cars show so l know it is possible to make it work.

Later:cool:

Attachments

• jimmy's truck good guys.jpg1.jpg
    jimmy's truck good guys.jpg1.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Attachments

• Scout.jpg
    Scout.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 24
  • unisteer.jpg
    unisteer.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 27
Emergency Brake cable bracket

Been working on the rear axle. This axle is out of a 99 Jeep Cherokee, 8-1/4" with 3:55 gears. I installed the axle above the leaf springs and removed a couple of the leaf springs to get a lower stance.

I bent up and installed some new brake lines, installed new shoes, drums and wheel cylinders.

I needed to terminate the emergency brake cables so I welded up a simple bracket and installed it below the cross member in front of the rear axle. I will rig up an equalizer bracket and cables one I get the cab back on. I will be looking for some ideas on this...I would like to use the original emergency brake handle. I am envisioning some pulley's and custom brackets.

Tonight I have been fabricating some bottom shock mounts for the rear axles...the originals will no longer work. I will post those photos shortly.

Havin' fun.....

Attachments

• IMG_7270.jpg
    IMG_7270.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN7524.jpg
    DSCN7524.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN7531.jpg
    DSCN7531.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN7534.jpg
    DSCN7534.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 40
Here is the start of the new lower spring brackets with shock mounts. I cut up the original spring mounts from the truck. I am just using the portion that the shock attaches to.

I have some basic spring plates, and I will be welding the shock mounts and the plates together....here are the parts cut up, cleaned up and tack welded. They are ready for finish welding.

I think these will work just fine.......

Attachments

• DSCN7525.jpg
    DSCN7525.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN7527.jpg
    DSCN7527.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN7528.jpg
    DSCN7528.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN7536.jpg
    DSCN7536.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 33
Cool truck. I've got a '52 dodge truck im working on. For info on the front end lowering you might want to try searching the HAMB or p15-d24 forum. I know there are guys on the p15 site that have done this. Or maybe Sid can get you some more info. Good luck. I'll be watching this as i'd like to drop my front end as well.

-Chris

I "C" notched the frame and boxed it back in.....and I custom made some motor mounts. I used the original 318 brackets on the motor, but had to shorten them to get them closer to the block. I custom made the frame mounts for the motor...they are bolted to the frame and welded...I also fabricated the transmission crossmember....here are some photos...I just finished this up last week.

I am a rookie welder, so the welds are not the prettiest....but effective.

Also, this fall I had the front axle sent to Sid's to have it dropped...I also added the Rusty Hope brake conversion to disc brakes on the front.

I have to work through all the tie rod and drag link challenges over the next couple of months....so if anyone has dealt with that, I could use some advice.

I have a 52 pilothouse and was thinking of doing what you are doing. I'd love to compare notes and get ideas. Drawings or closer pics of your motor mounts would be great.

Cool truck. I've got a '52 dodge truck im working on. For info on the front end lowering you might want to try searching the HAMB or p15-d24 forum. I know there are guys on the p15 site that have done this. Or maybe Sid can get you some more info. Good luck. I'll be watching this as i'd like to drop my front end as well.

-Chris

I want to drop my 52 also.

Latest posts

Back