1930 Model A Tudor Sedan Rearend Questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Strunk

Banned
I am building a 1930 tudor model A sedan. Want it to sit low with air bags. I am planning on putting Firestone 750 16 white wall tires on rear: http://www.cokertire.com/750-16-firestone-4-1-2-whitewall-tire.html

Section width 8.28in
Diameter 31.48in

I don't know backspace of wheels, but I plan on putting steelie rims, and may just buy them new from someone like coker so I don't have to deal with bolt pattern differences. I am considering a 9" rearend for it, but have been told it measures 65" from disc brake backing plate to backing plate.

What rearend and width size do you recommend for these cars?

I plan on running a chevy small block engine with a turbo 350 trany.

Also, what gear ratio would work best with the diameter size of the tire? I will be doing mainly in town driving.

I realize I need to take more measurements to figure this out, but thought there is someone out there that has already done this.

Thanks

Air bags on a hot rod are like tits on a bull IMO :rolleyes:, but i'll entertain your rearend question. If you want it to sit that low you are going to need a really wide rear because the Sedan body tapers out as it goes up. 9 inch widths vary between applications, but you will likely be looking at a later truck unit. This works well with '40-'48 Ford steel wheels since they are the right size for your Firestones and the correct 5.5" bolt circle for the truck axles. With that tall tire you can get away with a little more gear. I like to run a 3.50 with a 7.00 or 7.50-16 tire. It still gives decent low end but doesn't have your engine screaming on the highway. Good luck...

What year of truck would I search for a 9" rear from? Any idea? Also, the rearend I am currently looking at came out of a Lincoln car. I haven't seen it so I don't know the bolt pattern. Do you know the bolt pattern? Do you know what I would find steel rims off of to fit that rearend?

Also, what kind of rear suspension would you recommend if I don't use air bags to get a low stance? A four link with coilover shocks?

Thanks

Shawn, if you are going to bag it and intend on laying frame you are going to need a REAL wide rear end, because as Blue Eyed Devil said, the model a sedan bodies taper out as you go up. My Son built a Fordor sedan years ago that he bagged and we had to go the the junkyard and get a rearend from a Chevy Van to get one wide enough. I think it was something like 65 inches wide, wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. It was one wide sucker but was needed to clear the body when he lowered it down to the ground.

Here is a picture of the sedan.

dansfordorrearview-1.jpg

And here is a rear shot of the chassis, showing how wide the rear end had to be.

dansframerearshot.jpg

Don

The 9" I used in my '30 A sedan is from an 87 e-150 ford van and I run 15x10 with a 5" backspace and it will completely clear the sides with a little over 3/4" to spare .

The 9" I used in my '30 A sedan is from an 87 e-150 ford van and I run 15x10 with a 5" backspace and it will completely clear the sides with a little over 3/4" to spare .

I was actually going to post the same question Wow

Your post was the answer I was looking for . I have a 30 sedan Tudor and I picked up a 9" rear end, was a good deal so I took it with out measuring it or my sedan. I have been looking at some wheels that have a 3 1/2 and 4 back spacing just because I know I'm going to be close.

The one question I have for you Greg would be is that what is you length of axle from back plate to back plate (disk or drum ) (I'm running drum)

Thanks for you help Greg !

Latest posts

Back