Trans cooler

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akzale

Ok guys, here goes! I'm looking to mount a remote trans cooler inside my frame below the floor. Glassed in floor in my T bucket. I know they work good while running, but I'm concerned about when I stop and park. I know it will radiate heat, and being just inches below the floor, am I flirting with disaster? With it being so close to the floor, am I setting myself up for a fire? Or is my engineering mind just over reacting?

Don't use one of the flat ones you get at places like Autozone, pick up one of the round ones that are about 16 inches long with fins around the perimeter. My Son is running his in exactly the spot you are talking about, and it only gets slightly warm to the touch, not as hot as you would think.

If you get a double pass one with the inlet and outlet on the same side they are more efficient and easier to plumb.

Don

There isn't any fluid in the engine or tranny that gets hot enough to start a fire.
I'm going to use the cooler Don suggested, on my 48 GMC. I think I'll use the 24" one though.
satcooler.gif

If you really want good airflow around the trans cooler you could mount it like I did on my 23. I mounted it via two little tabs on the frame rails and ran it across the frame under the crank pulley. A 24 incher was just right to span that distance.

But you will need a cat to hold it in place for you while you tighten the bolts.

Don

Oh gosh donsrod, laughed pretty good on that one! I'd rather be safe than sorry, but I guess it may not be as big of a problem as I'm thinking! Gonna plumb one up and ride!

Latest posts

Back