EVAPO-RUST Rust Remover

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
This is sort of a mini-review because so far, I have only used the product once, but was impressed with the results so I'll share.

I am working on a project with intentions of re-using many of the original parts. These parts are pretty crusty so I thought I would try a product I'd seen named EVAPO-RUST rust remover. I tested it on some pretty crusty small parts and it did a really nice job. It's not cheap but it's non-toxic and made in the USA. I'll let the photos show the results.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Some rusty 1934 Ford shock links (dog bones). A good candidate for a test subject.

I dropped them in a small container of Evapo-Rust, left them over night, and they looked like this the next morning. Pretty nice I thought.

Bill, I had exactly the same results with it. Don bought some and didn't like it, but he only soaked the parts 15 minutes. I took some of his leftovers and soaked some very rusty cowl lights in it over night and the results were amazing. It left the paint intact but cleaned the rusty metal so that it looked like brand new.

You have to do something to keep the parts from flash rusting quickly, so I temporarily shot some WD30 on them. Northern Tool carries it, about $ 20 a gallon and a 5 gallon tub is about $75.

Here are the cowl lights when done. They were VERY rusty to start with.

ebaypictures006.jpg

Don

What does it do to the aluminum? Not meaning does it damage it, but what finish does it leave it looking like? I have 3 carbs to rebuild for my rpu project, just wondering.

Don

Looks good[cl How much it cost and can it be reused?[P

Thanks for the tip

I used it to clean a hood latch assemble about year ago , I put the used stuff into a tightly fit container . the other day I used it clean a door latch and it cleaned it like I just opened the bottle the first time .

My use is to soak the parts for a couple of days , I do not know if it works as a wipe on /off but I like Rust-Oleum Rust reformer for that , Just remember to wipe it off after it's on there for 30 seconds if you are going to finish paint over it so you don't have brush marks

Oldog

the floors were badly BADLY rusted in my 63 jeep and i wirewheeled them and then gave them a coat of POR
that stuff dries really hard and did a great job
but it is UV sensitive

Latest posts

Back