Channel ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgrabber

So I just bought a 29 Chevy sedan
IMG_20150919_201142936.jpg
I want to channel 5" and still run fenders. What is the best way to go about the rears:confused: any suggestions appreciated

I've never done this but i would leave the floor as is and section the sideboards to flush with the bottom of the frame and maybe section the rear fenderwells up the body a little but only if necessary.

I think what Torch is saying is to channel the body over the frame down to the level of the running board ? Then yes, cut out the rear wheelwells and raise them up the same amount into the quarter panels...

That was the thought to go down to the running boards. But is where I'm stuck is how to section the wheel opening up and make it stay even and look good down low in front of the wheel

A friend channeled his 29 7"s and it was miserable to be in and it wasn't chopped.(I'm 5' 8" too)
Why not use a chassis engineering universal rear leaf spring kit, since you're running fenders, a Mustang ll front suspension.
Chop the top 3"s
Everything you need in this kit for around $500

AS-0010CHD-600x600.JPG

That's the setup I used in this 34 Pontiac

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6776.jpg
    IMG_6776.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 83
I think what Torch is saying is to channel the body over the frame down to the level of the running board ? Then yes, cut out the rear wheelwells and raise them up the same amount into the quarter panels...

Actually no but that's a good guess. I'm thinking section the running boards as in make the rise in the running board thinner. maybe only a couple inches tall like a rocker panel to make the body look less tall without loosing a nice flat floor or loosing headroom.

but yeah then raise the fenders to clearance for the suspension drop you are most likely going to build into it

You can channel a frame and maintain interior space if you run a perimeter frame with the floor pans dropped into the frame.

i think if you channeled the body 5" and chopped the top you'd have to just about lay down like in a corvette or worse to drive it.

My perspective I'm 5'11

Cut here

attachment.php

To make this

attachment.php

Attachments

• 29 sectioned running boards1.jpg
    29 sectioned running boards1.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 29 chevy channel running boards 2.jpg
    29 chevy channel running boards 2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 80
My apologies to the dude I just decapitated :D no pain no gain!
You would step the frame right at the cowl the same amount you sectioned the running boards to avoid having to make the fronts of the fenders taller to reach down to the frame after raising the whole fender with the running board

if you look, the 29 chevy frame sits a few inches above the bottom of the running boards.
You could go flush or let a small amount of frame show under the running board without having to channel the body.

changing from a bench seat to ordinary bucket like from a newer silverado or a camaro would put you closer to the floor without making you have to lay back or bend over

This is with about a 3" to 4" chop
attachment.php

Attachments

• 29 sectioned running boards chopped.jpg
    29 sectioned running boards chopped.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 79
I raised both fenders with the bottoms of the running boards...
I left the passenger side headlight in the original location because it was easier XD and it shows the changes.

I think the hardest parts would be the fronts of the front fenders and that body line from the rocker up and around the rear fender.

There might be a way to not have to step the frame up front if you raked the body on the frame and maybe just sectioned the footwell area of the floor at an angle
or if you added metal to the fenders

Latest posts

Back