Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Undead Sleds... makin' old tin Undead every day! > Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk

Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk General discussion of car type stuff!

Old 09-28-2017, 03:58 PM
A *real* tin magnet

Default Project parts gathering coming together

I have the 77 F250 4x4 chassis, the 460/ZF drievetrain and this is the body I hope to use. I think I have the rancher talked out of it. I will get it pieced together at my nephews, with his help. He has a side post lift. I will leave it original patina. My original 59 F250 4x4 is for sale

Old 09-28-2017, 04:52 PM
Crusty Rusty Old Rat Rodder!

That is one nice looking truck. You have done more since you got out of the hospital than I've done in the last 2 years!
Old 09-28-2017, 04:59 PM
A *real* tin magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno View Post
That is one nice looking truck. You have done more since you got out of the hospital than I've done in the last 2 years!
Haha, not much but have been doing some trading. My white count is still pretty low, hence not much immune system so I'm taking it pretty cautious. Still able to drag more crap home, does that count?
Old 09-29-2017, 04:49 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

This should bolt right on. Well, almost! The wheel base is different, though. I can't wait to see how you deal with that. Should be fun.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:06 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Nice, dry, clean looking fridge! I hope it comes together for you...

Old 09-29-2017, 08:06 PM
A *real* tin magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
This should bolt right on. Well, almost! The wheel base is different, though. I can't wait to see how you deal with that. Should be fun.
The frame is pretty straight and I think I can just take a chunk out of it behind the cab. Those old 57-60 are short, 118", only a couple inches longer than a 70s short bed. The donor frame is 2 inches wider and the rear cab mounts are only going to be about 3/4" outside the frame. I'm sure I'll have to do some whittling of the inner fender around the steering box. And plenty of other surprises yet unseen
Old 10-01-2017, 01:21 AM
A *real* tin magnet

Well, time hasn't been so good to that old truck. Floorboards are gone, side of bed caved in, front fenders rusted out and drivers door pretty mangled. Not worth dragging out let alone going through the laborious task of dealing with this very nice, albeit lonesome, old man. He did say I could come back and get the trim pieces. I could probably get the grill but to be honest, they are just too much work to get out unless you can destroy the fenders to get at the caged nuts that almost always spin out.
Most of the things he wouldn't sell before, have been cleaned out by the Wisconsin deer hunters.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:48 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

So, the body swap is off until you find a better candidate? Why not just use the body you already have [the 59] ?
Old 10-01-2017, 08:58 AM
A *real* tin magnet

I actually have a really decent 59 Custom cab body. It was someone else's project many years ago and the cab is kinda gutted, crappy primer on it and old repairs of the front fender rust. And I have a good bed I saved from a 60 I parted out years ago. I was really into the original patina look but this mishmosh of parts would need painted and that means body work.

The 59 I have basically needs a front clip and a passenger door because those parts are all pretty wavey. I think I would do better to just sell it as a good driver and use the money.
Trouble is, with body work and rewiring the whole new cab, the project might be getting a little more ambitious than my ambition level.
I have thought of just using the 40 panel body but just do not like those swaps with axles too wide and the tires outside the body. Back on the Scout axles but the wrong side drop for Ford.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:35 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Bummer. Best get to huntin' for another.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.