Studebaker truck glass

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
laminated glass

New cars use tempered glass usually curved . older cars used flat laminated glass made from 2 pieces of glass with a plastic inner layer. The plastic can age and bubbles show up between the sheets. A good glass shop can cut the flat glass to fit a pattern, either use a heater or solvent to disolve the plastic. When I had the round Monical windshield made for my model T speedster the glass shop said it was illegal to install glass that did not have the safety seal, Normally it was in the bottom corner of the new flat glass and would not show on a round piece of glass. I said OK change the invoice to say the glass is for a porthole window on a boat.

All windsheild glass is laminated, curved and flat. You wouldn't want tempered glass for a windsheild, one rock and you'd be wearing millions of tiny glass fragments. Laminated, a rock hits it, it usually only breaks the outer layer although I have seen both layers break, the one in my Lincoln did that. Just depends on the hardness of the lick and size of the projectile....

All windsheild glass is laminated, curved and flat. You wouldn't want tempered glass for a windsheild, one rock and you'd be wearing millions of tiny glass fragments. Laminated, a rock hits it, it usually only breaks the outer layer although I have seen both layers break, the one in my Lincoln did that. Just depends on the hardness of the lick and size of the projectile....
Lead ones usually fracture both layers.:eek:

Latest posts

Back