convenient and precise chassis alignment reference

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomicdesu

i found an easy trick to get solid and precise chassis reference points, in my case for installing a custom rear suspension and Mustang axle in my rambler rat roadster. this should work on anything with a ball joint or trunnion in the lower arm of the front suspension. since this lower pivot is the exact bottom of the virtual kingpin it's the perfect reference.

i chopped the heads off two junk box Zerk fittings, inserted a cotter pin, spread the tips and chopped them close, so that it would screw into the grease hole in the trunnion:

trunnion%20reference1.jpg

the cotter pin accepts the tip of a tape measure snugly. it rotates in the fitting to line up right. on my car it's a straight shot from the trunnion to the axle tube, since both are low points in the car. YMMV i guess.

trunnion%20reference%202.jpg

Indeed a good idea, there are a number of reason we need to measure things having to do with the chassis. [cl
Thanks for the tip. [cl

you can also insert some string into the modified zerk, tie a knot, then use a plumb bob on the other end to mark lines on the floor or chassis table.

Nice....!!

That's the easy peasy stuff that really makes you go..."why the heck didn't I think of that"....then you steal the idea...lol..:D [cl

That's the easy peasy stuff that really makes you go..."why the heck didn't I think of that"....then you steal the idea...lol..:D [cl

steal away!

of course you owe me big time. lol. check's in the mail, right?

hell, i assume someone else did this before me and i just didn't notice, or i stolt it and forgot myself!

Latest posts

Back