My 1950 F-1

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio_rat

I started working on this around last August, when I dragged all the crap out of some guys backyard/storage sheds. My plan is to make a fender-less old school truck. First thing I did was chop the cab about 3 inches, but the more I think about it, the more I want to chop it another 3 and narrow the cab overall.
080409_170200-1.jpg

I was planning on using the hood with the truck, and I found a grille shell that I thought would really set off the look incorporated into the factory hood. Its from a 36 chevy car, and I going to have to shrink the hood down quite a bit to leave the grille untouched.
IMG00069.jpg

The engine is a 1972 350 that has been rebuilt to stock spec, except for a mild cam swap. The frame is a fairly basic 2x4 steel frame, z'ed front and back so that I wouldn't have to channel the **** out of the cab floor to get the stance I want. Spring over straight axle in the front, 4 link air ride in the rear.
IMG00077.jpg

13858_721646253170_20901461_4088375.jpg

Originally I was dead set on using the stock truck front suspension, but have recently scrapped that idea, despite putting considerable time and money into that set up.(dropleafs, kingpins, hours of labor to make a nice tapered front rails.) oh well
IMG00006.jpg

Let me know what you think, Its a work in progress and I'm open to new ideas, thanks!

I've seen guys use that same axle with a single transverse leaf spring. That would allow you to taper the front frame rails. Some use a rack steering and attach it to the axle to eliminate the bump steer issue of course you would need a steering shaft that pivots. Looks good! What rear end are you using?

I love the idea of that grille , just pie cut the hood , pinch the nose in and let the good times roll . I think it will look great ! Please keep us updated on this deal

I really like the look of the way it is, its proportioned very well. Like the hood grill combo too. I would recommend looking on here for some frontend setups, there are some really good ideas floating around.

definatly looks kool so far i think i would do what gregster said and pie cut the hood.... make it fit snug and shake and bake baby shake and bake.......[cl[;)[P

I generally don't like how the f-1 axles look fender-less when people adapt them to single spring. I have been considering rack steering, but will probably end up doing a traditional setup. The rear end is from a later model 4x4 s-10. I did work on it today and made some progress.

IMG00078.jpg

IMG00082.jpg

IMG00081.jpg

IMG00083.jpg

I'm planning on doing something a lot like that with my 51 F1 and the stock front axle. I'd prefer to use a spring behind set up opposed to a spring over to get it low as possible but It's all in the eye of the builder I guess. Certainly nothing wrong with how your going with it. I'm enjoying your build thread. Keep the pics coming
Thunder

Great build! Keep the pics coming.[P I want to do the same with my hood and a grill and then fix it where the whole thing will tilt forward or can be removed.

Latest posts

Back