My T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

I started wooding the bucket for strength. Haven't started glassing it in yet. Never done this before, so I hope I'm not going overboard. For you folks that have worked with glass, does this look okay?

Fiberglass looks o.k., but I haven't figured out how to make it rust?:D Looks great! Keep us posted.

Looks good, Make sure you cross brace the door.
rough up the body inside before you glass and round off the edges
of the wood as much as you can.

fiberglass does not take kindly to sharp edges...

Good advice on rounding the wood. That will cause that problem called shadowing, I think.
Okay, I have a corvair steering box and I'm going to have to pin the shaft to a u-joint. Now, here is where I show my rookiness. Where can I get a 3/16 solid steel pin ?

u could get a dowl pin.. they are used in dies and such for manufacturing.. they are hardened.. im sure you can get it in the length u need...

just my .02

Fiberglass looks o.k., but I haven't figured out how to make it rust?:D Looks great! Keep us posted.

Oh yeah--Glass will rust...

Check T-odds T in the NTBA site--Nice rusty 23 T Bucket. Used some waterbased paint with metal filings in it--looks and feels like the real thing..

Am considering something similar to get all my different rusty metal body parts to match.

PA41

I just dont get it. I mean i love it, but why are you framing the body. I keep coming across fiberglass t bucket bodies for like $120, and my brother in law bought a solid metal 27 bucket for $250. Price wise, isnt it cheaper to buy one?

Its all in the paint, oh and ya can drill little holes that look like pin holes...

I like rusty, weathered stuff as much as just about anybody, but fake rust thru on a fiberglass car is just wrong....so are fake weld seams.

Last edited:
I just dont get it. I mean i love it, but why are you framing the body. I keep coming across fiberglass t bucket bodies for like $120, and my brother in law bought a solid metal 27 bucket for $250. Price wise, isnt it cheaper to buy one?

It all depends on what you want.

Doing extensive rust repair and bodywork on a steel car can get expensive if you are paying somebody else to do the work. A decent fiberglass body does not require as much labor to get it ready for paint.

Latest posts

Back