My 1941 Dodge Truck Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! How have i overlooked this one? Awesome frame! Cadillac engine! A new garage and big juicy pix of everything.
402471.gif

Wow! How have i overlooked this one? Awesome frame! Cadillac engine! A new garage and big juicy pix of everything.
402471.gif

I've tried to find the thread with this awesome frame a couple different times - never can recall who's it is. It's beautiful ain't it!

Awesome work on your frame, it's gonna be a standout ride. Glad to see you are using a Caddy engine, they weigh less than a BB Chevy and can really put out - what plans do you have its build. Here's a couple pix of one I built a few years ago, made my own tunnel ram and valve covers, headers.

Attachments

• mar 09 05 006 a.jpg
    mar 09 05 006 a.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 103
  • mar 09 05 019 a.jpg
    mar 09 05 019 a.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 96
Thanks for the kind words guys. I haven't done anything interesting lately. I brought over my "frame table" from the shop and I've just set it up. I also worked on the front axle a little bit. I put the disc brake conversion on and now I'm thinking of how I should go about doing the steering.

I have a couple of ideas, but if anybody knows of anyone who uses a 53-56 F100 front axle with disc brakes and fabricated steering arms, please let me know. I tossed the original ones out because they were butt ugly (and slightly bent). LOL

Awesome work on your frame, it's gonna be a standout ride. Glad to see you are using a Caddy engine, they weigh less than a BB Chevy and can really put out - what plans do you have its build. Here's a couple pix of one I built a few years ago, made my own tunnel ram and valve covers, headers.

Thanks for the kind words! That is one nice engine. I wish mine were that clean! A quick question, what distributor is that? All I can find is the MSD distributors and they're kind of expensive.

As far as my plans for the engines, I don't know what I'm going to do yet. What I have noticed is, when compared to an SBC, everything is a lot more expensive for these engines. I think I'm going to keep the engines fairly stock for the time being.

I really like what you did with the intake manifold. I've been playing around with the idea of doing 4 down draft Weber carbs. I've drawn up some pieces in CAD, but nothing too serious yet.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I haven't done anything interesting lately. I brought over my "frame table" from the shop and I've just set it up. I also worked on the front axle a little bit. I put the disc brake conversion on and now I'm thinking of how I should go about doing the steering.

I have a couple of ideas, but if anybody knows of anyone who uses a 53-56 F100 front axle with disc brakes and fabricated steering arms, please let me know. I tossed the original ones out because they were butt ugly (and slightly bent). LOL

Thanks for the kind words! That is one nice engine. I wish mine were that clean! A quick question, what distributor is that? All I can find is the MSD distributors and they're kind of expensive.

As far as my plans for the engines, I don't know what I'm going to do yet. What I have noticed is, when compared to an SBC, everything is a lot more expensive for these engines. I think I'm going to keep the engines fairly stock for the time being.

I really like what you did with the intake manifold. I've been playing around with the idea of doing 4 down draft Weber carbs. I've drawn up some pieces in CAD, but nothing too serious yet.

The distributor is a stock GM HEI off a newer Caddy, a 425 I think, got it from Pick n Pull, I think they started using them in 74 , the later ones on the last 368 engines were set up for a semi computer control, bunch more wires coming out. They can be used too if you change the module for one from the pre computer cars (70's) and chop off the extra wires, make sure the white and green wires that plug into it are plugged to the correct tabs, the wire colors are printed on the module. Other than that, they drop right in.

Great frame, show us some pics of your frame table. What kind of shop do you have welding and fab or auto or?

Did you stick with the clear cup for the TIG or go back to the ceramic, cheaper ones?

The distributor is a stock GM HEI off a newer Caddy, a 425 I think, got it from Pick n Pull, I think they started using them in 74 , the later ones on the last 368 engines were set up for a semi computer control, bunch more wires coming out. They can be used too if you change the module for one from the pre computer cars (70's) and chop off the extra wires, make sure the white and green wires that plug into it are plugged to the correct tabs, the wire colors are printed on the module. Other than that, they drop right in.

Thanks for the info! :)

Great frame, show us some pics of your frame table. What kind of shop do you have welding and fab or auto or?

Did you stick with the clear cup for the TIG or go back to the ceramic, cheaper ones?

Thanks!

I don't own a shop. I'm an engineer and I work for a small company in Gilbert. I have some of my tools at the shop because they get used there. I don't like it this way, but my boss is too cheap to buy proper tools to get the job done properly.

Anyways, the "frame table" is a 4'x8' welding table that I built a while ago. I never got around to putting the top on it, so it stayed as a bare skeleton. A buddy of mine had me build a frame for his '23 T and I used the skeleton. It worked out perfectly. Here, pictures are worth a thousand words:

frametable.jpg

frametable2.jpg

It's got 6 adjustable legs so I can get it perfectly level in all direction. I faced 6 bolts and turned 6 nuts down..... here, pictures speak a thousand words, haha.

DSCF5607.jpg

DSCF5612.jpg

These are the 6 legs before I welded them to the top. You can see the height adjustment bolts.
DSCF5626.jpg

As far as the pyrex cup, I got two more ordered from Arc Zone. I had to use the ceremic cups in the meanwhile and I hated every second of it. The pyrex cups a lot more expensive than the ceramic ones, but they're worth every penny, trust me on this one! :)

cad motors rock! Just run a tall rear gear and the torque will do all the work. They are only 75 lbs heavier than a SBC. I am waffling between the 500 I have or the 454 that I also have for the 35 shop truck. Good looking frame table

A small update:

I've been putting a couple of hours every night or so into the project. I managed to get all the pieces welded up, but I still have to grind all the welds down, but that shouldn't take long since I tig welded the whole thing. I need to bring over my table from the shop so I can get the frame all squared up and welded. My plan is to have a roller by next weekend.

Starting to look like a frame:
IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Frame looks great. what you using for front spring(s), hope you keep us posted

cad motors rock! Just run a tall rear gear and the torque will do all the work. They are only 75 lbs heavier than a SBC. I am waffling between the 500 I have or the 454 that I also have for the 35 shop truck. Good looking frame table

Use the Cadillac motor! BBCs are cool, but imagine this conversation:

- Some guy: nice truck, what do you have under the hood?
- You: CADDDDDDDY 500! [ddd [ddd

"Caddy 500" just sounds so cool! :D

Frame looks great. what you using for front spring(s), hope you keep us posted

Thanks! The suspension is air ride all around.

where are you going to hide the front air bags? back under the cab with a torsion bar coming up or use like a shockwave out in the open? I like the idea of air ride all around but it is hard to get the setup asthetically pleasing. But looks like you are doing a great job with the asthetics already! [;)

Yeah, I'm interested to see how you handle the front airbags - bet it'll be interesting.

I am of the "Any engine other than a Chevy" mind set at the moment. Caddys are always a great choice.

where are you going to hide the front air bags? back under the cab with a torsion bar coming up or use like a shockwave out in the open? I like the idea of air ride all around but it is hard to get the setup asthetically pleasing. But looks like you are doing a great job with the asthetics already! [;)

I'm using regular airbags, and I agree, they're very unsightly to have out in the open. The front begs will be hidden under the radiator and behind the grill. The rear bags will be right behind the cab and utilize cantilever arms to suspend the rear.

This picture will probably give you an idea of how the front is going to end up looking. The truck CAD files are on my other computer, otherwise I'd show you better images.
1.jpg

Yeah, I'm interested to see how you handle the front airbags - bet it'll be interesting.

I am of the "Any engine other than a Chevy" mind set at the moment. Caddys are always a great choice.

I hear you. Chevy V8s are a little played out, although I certainly wouldn't mind having a 348 or 409. [dr

Thats a good idea. Lets you mount the bag any which way and keep them out of sight. Cool [P

I haven't done any ground breaking work. I wanted to have a roller by the Memorial Day weekend, but I just couldn't pull it off.

I set up the frame table and started putting the frame pieces in. Hopefully I can at least have a frame by this weekend, haha.

IMG_0080.jpg

I've also been thinking a lot about the steering arms. There's no way that I'm going to use the stock set up; they're just too ugly. With the disc brake conversion installed, there's not much room to bolt stuff up on to the spindle. Here's a picture:

IMG_0085.jpg

So my idea was to make an arm that goes off the brake caliper bracket. Here's what I'm thinking (excuse the crude CAD models, I did them on the fly).

This is the unmodified caliper bracket:
caliperbracket.jpg

I will cut a notch in it, like this:
caliperbracket1.jpg

I'll have these steering arms water jetted:
steeringarm.jpg

The steering arm will now slide onto the modified caliper bracket, like this:
assembly1.jpg

assembly2.jpg

View from the underside:
assembly3.jpg

View from the back:
assembly4.jpg

The steering arm will get welded to the caliper bracket afterwards.

What do you guys think about this setup? I feel pretty confident about it. It also allows me to have the tie rod in the front and still maintain proper steering geometry.

Latest posts

Back