1966 Mustang Coupe restomod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54IrrationalHarvester

This is my summer Bling toy.
A 1966 mustang coupe I purchased from second owner in 1999.
It had a 289 2 barrel toploader 4 speed.
I tried a used 302 reverse pattern c4 (manual shift) and a 3.50 locker rear setup for a while but it was high miles and needed overdrive. It was awesome chirping tires at just off idle engine speeds though!
I then purchased a "rebuilt 302" that turned out to be a honed and reringed crap motor no better than i was before. I got disgusted with everyone and did not trust anyones word so I decided to build it myself. Realizing I needed new crank and internals anyways , it was time to upgrade to a stroker kit 347.
A 93 block was punched out 030" , and my 83 HO heads were ported and sport custom pushrods and scorpion full roller rockers. Pistons are SRP 10.6 flat tops and cam is a 290 duration .540 lift. Headers were heat wrapped.
I rebuilt the rearend to tighten excessive backlash, and installed a world class T5 tranny and centerforce dual friction clutch.
All suspension was replaced except rear leafs, and full floor pans and sub frame connectors were added . wheel wells were rolled and car lowered about 2 inches with addition of 16x8 wheels and big 245 50 16 tires.
My first show won best restoration at the Mustang Rally of the FingerLakes.:cool:

Attachments

• 100_4121.jpg
    100_4121.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_5394.jpg
    100_5394.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_5438.jpg
    100_5438.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 2012-08-06_12-22-14_756.jpg
    2012-08-06_12-22-14_756.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 2013mrfl PARADE.jpg
    2013mrfl PARADE.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 41
  • phone picsssss 576.jpg
    phone picsssss 576.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 30
  • phone picsssss 584.jpg
    phone picsssss 584.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 29
I went thru the same thing. The last two cars I built was a 56 Chevy Delray for my wife and a 65 GTO for myself.
Took the shiny want right out of me :)

The last mustang I had was a 66.It had fords undercoating everywhere on underside.Body and underside looked good till I got it home and took carpet out.Whole floor was loose rust.All that was left was that undercoating that started the problem by holding water in.Even the front subframe would crumble with your hands.
I sold it to some teenagers in Charleston who were looking for a project body to put on s10 or datsun chassis,or something like that.
I later bought a 1960 falcon that ford did not put the undercoating on and it was in Great Shape!
Glad your mustang was in better shape.It sure looks fast![dr

Last edited:
love falcons and comets

I love falcons and comets.
Came damn close to buying a 65? comet caliente with a 289 hipo in it.

I found this stang advertised on a webpage in 1999 "mustangforsale.com"
whats the chance of getting that site name?- he was one of the first to go internet sales it seems, or lucky to get that name.
He had tons of pics, receipts and was the second owner.
It was in FT. Lauderdale and I bought it without seeing it in person and had it delivered in NY for $650.
It was as described except the toploader kept coming out of gear and shifted hard. A week later I advertised the drive train and sold it next day.

Then the adventure really started......

carb issues

just took her to pep boys after installing new aluminum header gaskets ( worked great to fix exhaust leak), but drove her hard a bit and blew out rear intake gasket ( again). It has been surging and running rough so we determined the 600 carb was too small for radical 347 and likely contributed to misfire and blowout.
I picked up a new elec choke vac secondary holley 650 dual feed and new intake gaskets.
10 hours yesterday to fix exhaust and now prob half day for this....:eek:
cutting into my Rat rod time.

carb update

the 670 holley street avenger carb solved the studder issue.
old 600 way too small for application.
car has never run better. no clickety from manifold leaks at header and smooth engine without studder at low throttle.
The girlfriend screams at mid throttle now because she thinks we are on liftoff![cl
I tried the edelbrock intake gaskets with just permatex black at end seals but still have minor oil leak at rear manifold. The heads have been decked and I think I need to machine the lower manifold so to not over compress gasket material.

Is there a better alternative to that black sealant after slight tacking then installing manifold?

Latest posts

Back