SBC Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

The small block Chevy in my Lincoln is the first one I've fooled with in close to 25 years. I know they had a long water pump and a short pump, the long coming in in the 70's sometime. I used to be able tell the difference, but my memory has faded. According to my blocks serial number, it came from a 1975 Chevy C10 pickup, so it should be a long pump, correct? I also know it could have been changed at some time to a short pump. Reason I want to know, I want to buy a new set of pulleys, but not sure which ones I need. So, to make a long story short, how do I tell the short and long pumps apart? I remember something about the distance from the pump to timing cover, but not how much.

Help a Ford guy out! :D

Shorts are against the timing chain cover. Long is not.

And I'm wanting to think that there's a odd ball third size pump also[S

Bama, if you have the new speedway catalog, check page 248. Speedy tips says the short pumps measured 5 5/8" from mounting surface to pump shaft end. The long pump measures 7 1/4" from mounting surface to pump shaft end.

21willys, The only oddball I know of was the 350 diesel pump. Shows a different part number but doesn't indicate long or short.

Here ya go Ford man :)

p114852_image_large.jpg

Latest posts

Back