Cheap grinding disc warning

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We actually use a lot of the HF cutoff wheels and they do a good job, IF you don't force them and take progressively deeper cuts. As mentioned, twisting and damaging them will create stress cracks that will cause the explosion.

I no longer own a chop saw, though, I tossed two of them in the dumpster. One day I turned it on, bent down to pickup some steel, and it went off like a bomb ! Pieces of the blade imbedded in my garage roof and if I had been standing it would have hit me directly. :eek::eek: They were 12 inch chop saws and I didn't fracture the blade in any way I know of, so I have no idea why it blew up.

I just knew I could never trust them again. Now we only have horizontal and vertical bandsaws in the shop.

Don

We actually use a lot of the HF cutoff wheels and they do a good job, IF you don't force them and take progressively deeper cuts. As mentioned, twisting and damaging them will create stress cracks that will cause the explosion.

I no longer own a chop saw, though, I tossed two of them in the dumpster. One day I turned it on, bent down to pickup some steel, and it went off like a bomb ! Pieces of the blade imbedded in my garage roof and if I had been standing it would have hit me directly. :eek::eek: They were 12 inch chop saws and I didn't fracture the blade in any way I know of, so I have no idea why it blew up.

I just knew I could never trust them again. Now we only have horizontal and vertical bandsaws in the shop.

Don

I know it's too late since you chucked them, but have any of you tried a carbide blade in a chop saw?
I can't remember the brand, but I used one at a friends fab shop & it worked great. no lubrication required. I know they aren't cheap....think he said he bought them off of ebay
I have had great results with hilti(sp?) consumables

Latest posts

Back