1953? Gmc coe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnco

got stupid one day a couple weeks ago and bought this 1953? GMC COE on impulse. didn't really think it thru at the time, not sure what I'm going to do with it yet but it's mine.. 2 speed diff, 471 with supercharger, factory sleeper. everything there and supposedly the 471 does run. searched everywhere on internet trying to find info on it but not much can be found.. can anyone ID the model number for me. I believe my friend said it has a 33,000 gvwr, it's huge! had to climb up two steps to look in the window. probably 9-10ft tall.

Attachments

• 532.jpg
    532.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 106
I don't have any info for you but I would be interested in it if you part with it.

not sure when and if I will get around to building it. a friend gave me a 1 ton chevy rv frame with steering suspension and axles I could use but I also have a 96 f350 dually powerstroke I just parked when I got a newer truck. or I could just fix and use as is.. looked it over a bit and it wouldn't take much to get it on the road as is.. my problem is that it's so big and I have no room to park it at my shop because of all my other cars/projects. first I have to find a way to even get it home. also will need a big forklift or truck crane to get the cab off. I'm still in planning stage but wouldn't bother me if someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse.. I'd rather swap it for something interesting though. parking room wouldn't be a problem after its driving on swapped frame but with cab off, original frame, donor cab/bed, and donor frame all together getting the project started is going to take every bit of shop driveway, if I could find somewhere to park the 6-7 cars I have there now.. obviously I didn't think it all out until the day after I bought it, lol if I ever get to it, Im thinking about doing something like this maybe

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 48
  • COE Chevy on 71.jpg
    COE Chevy on 71.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 52
Not to send you to a different place but if u go over to stovebolt.com they will definitely be able to ID it for you.

Looks like a cool big ol truck, good luck!

Looks to be in real good shape. If it were mine I'd have to get rid of the 471. I can't take the noise or that they only make power when at wide open throttle. I have a friend that says a Detoit can smell a hill and starts slowing down before you can see it. I think it will make a great buid. Good look with it.

I have bought stuff and then wondered the next day,why did I do that? Hope you find a good home for it,or find time to fix it.

I could be wrong but I thought the coes still had the AD style fenders in those years....still a cool coe!

Those old 2 stroke Detroit Diesel's are loud, especially with a straight pipe like that one has! Old drivers say you'd slam the door on your hand first thing in the morning so you'd be mad all day and keep the throttle wide open! And they came from the factory slobbering oil. If it quit leaking oil, it was either empty or fixing to blow up!

Even if it was a semi, it would still make a neat ramp or flatbed truck. I'd go with a Cummins from a Dodge pickup for power.

That's not a COE! Well I guess it really is a Coe. Those trucks are referred to as "cannonball" trucks. GMC's first line of diesel semi road tractors... Worth a pile of change to the right people! Obviously the front sheet metal is totally different. I've seen one truck that used the regular Coe fenders on a cannonball, it was amazing! Really a neat hard to find truck.

yeah I was told it's pretty rare. I really hate to take it apart and would rather some collector have it but don't know who to contact or where to offer it for sale

American Historical Truck Society used to have a forum. If they still do that might be a good place to start. But it seems like you had to pay $30 to be a member before you could post to their classifieds.

Really cool

Would make an awesome ride! Go to "vinwiz.com ", put in the VIN number and it will tell you when and where it was built, GVW, engine, trans, etc. With the proper donor vehicle, a chassis-swap is a breeze. I just finished a COE.

Attachments

• securedownload-19.jpg
    securedownload-19.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 29
  • securedownload-13.jpg
    securedownload-13.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 22
yeah I was told it's pretty rare. I really hate to take it apart and would rather some collector have it but don't know who to contact or where to offer it for sale

I was serious about being interested. And I can haul it.

Those old 2 stroke Detroit Diesel's are loud, especially with a straight pipe like that one has! Old drivers say you'd slam the door on your hand first thing in the morning so you'd be mad all day and keep the throttle wide open! And they came from the factory slobbering oil. If it quit leaking oil, it was either empty or fixing to blow up!

Even if it was a semi, it would still make a neat ramp or flatbed truck. I'd go with a Cummins from a Dodge pickup for power.

I've had a few driptroits and love them. My eagle tour bus had a 6v72 in it. For a big old bus it would scoot right down the highway while pulling a trailer. As for the noise, you either like it or HATE it. And believe it or not, it didn't leak or use a drop of oil. Only had 60k on it when I sold the bus.

21willys, haven't been back to look at it since I bought it. when I get a little time I'll go back, inspect it a little better, take some more pics and get more information on it and then maybe we can talk about it.

Latest posts

Back