RIP George Barris

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Eyed Devil

Devil's Advocate
Another legend has left the building. Looks like Sam gets to hang out with his little brother again tonight.
RIP George...

george-and-sam-barris.jpg

My favorite pic of George and Sam. A lot of know - it - all's have taken to George Barris bashing lately but for my money nobody did more for the custom car art form then George Barris. People forget that he was the one that taught Sam the trade as well as being an excellent photographer and promoter.
RIP Mr Barris.
Torchie

My favorite pic of George and Sam. A lot of know - it - all's have taken to George Barris bashing lately but for my money nobody did more for the custom car art form then George Barris. People forget that he was the one that taught Sam the trade as well as being an excellent photographer and promoter.
RIP Mr Barris.
Torchie

George was just that - A photographer and a promoter. A designer/builder ehhh... not so much. And he certainly made more than a few dubious claims to ownership. However... He was very successful at showcasing Sam's abilities and obviously made Barris a household name in the custom car world. Regardless, he is gone and it is time to look back on his positive accomplishments. Rest easy Georgie...

P.S. Lots of folks don't know he was also the last photographer to shoot Marilyn Monroe. He was obviously doing something right! Haha...

Well Actually George did more design and build work then he was given credit for. He also worked for early custom car legend Harry Westerguard. If you read any of the interviews from the real old timers like Jesse Lopez or Johnny Zarro or Junior Conway they talk about Sam being in the shop during the day but George staying way into the night doing paint work, body work ect.
Not sure that it was the same Barris that shot the Monroe pics though.
Torchie

Last edited:
George was one of a kind for sure, and I am sad about his passing.:( George was always "on", when someone would talk to him he was enthusiastic and ready to share everything he knew and had done with them.

When I look at cars like the Munster Coach, I think "How the heck did his mind come up with something so out there and cool ?" If he didn't have something special, he would not have been commissioned to do so many iconic Hollywood cars.

Sorry to see you go, George. Heaven will certainly be a little different when you get there.

Don

Saw him 1 1/2 years ago, was looking tired but still doing the PR, as a side note his current daily driver is (was) a toyota prius, green with lamb doors, called it the turtle.

I was lucky enough to meet the man twice in my life. Once in California and then again here in Florida at the 2007 Amelia Island Concours Car show.

mvc-074f.jpg

I was at the show the year they featured the Barris Mercury's 5 49-51 full customs.. Rest in Peace George..

Latest posts

Back