Seat covers??????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmic12

I am looking for some inexpencive covers for the stock seats in my 52 Chevy, anybody know of or gotten nice ones from anybody? Not looking for stock stuff I really want red/white roll n plete not fancey but something that would just go over the stock seats or whats left of them. On a very limited budget these days but really don't want to go the Mex blanket route but might have to.

I have used these guys 2x and they are great. Have patterns for just about any car and have excellent customer service.

They sew up the covers and you permanently install with hog rings.

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/

Here's how my Fairlane seats turned out. I think I got front & back seats plus carpet for about $500. I also got extra material and made my own door panels with it.

Attachments

• Fairlane interior.jpg
    Fairlane interior.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 78
The days of running down to Pep Boys, or ordering them from JC Whitney are long gone, unfortunately. There are some companies still cranking out some of the old plaid type seat covers, but their names escape me. The ones Big Irish posted are really nice, but you said you are on a very tight budget.

It might be time to try your hand at the sewing machine. There have been some seat covers people have posted on various forums that they did themselves with stuff from places like Joanne Fabrics, and some of them look pretty good.

About 12 years ago my then GF and I put together a rolled and pleated interior for my 27. It was nowhere as nice as the professional one I had done a few years ago, but it was servicable and didn't look horrible. You might recruit your Wife or GF to help you as they have a better touch with this stuff than most of us guys.

Don

I always wanted to make some seat covers out of those old Joe Camel windbreakers they used to give away with a purchase of couple packs of smokes.They are thin tyvex or something like that,but bottom seam is sewn in them and they are pretty tough.
I never tried it because I never knew anyone who would let me to get my hands on their sewing machine.:D
Never tried sewing,but how hard could it be.I may still try it one day if I can find a cheap machine at yard sale.I have no idea how to make a seat cover,but not knowing how has never stopped me before.
I just go for it.[cl

Interior do's and don'ts

As an upholster for entirely TOO many years, try not to buy "Seat Covers". Very generic and will not fit your seat perfectly. (foam degradation, broken springs, etc...) You'll be much better finding a local customs shop. I once ordered a 30yd bolt of black denim for my truck (was a good deal) it not only looked fantastic when done, it wore like iron! Look at the owners' work, and decide for yourself!

I just got 5.5 yds of blue vinyl and burlap. Getting ready to make a new seat for my 68 C10. The old one is still there and will work great for a template. My wife has 4 sewing machines one is a denim machine. She is a seamstress so we should be ok.

I picked up an old sewing maching (late 70's early 80's model) from goodwill for like $25. they are way stronger and have metal gears vs cheapos from walmart. alot better for thicker material and I've even sewn denium and vinyl with it

I used a factory cover out of a late 80's/early 90's Chevy van rear seat to redo ours,very easy & looks real good!
I don't have em on my work computer :mad: but i could post em later.

Here's what we went from & to. I ended high dense foam to the back,since Volkswagen springs suck! I used fishing line to hold it in place while I slipped to cover over the frame work.

Attachments

• 100_8744.jpg
    100_8744.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 30
  • seat (3).jpg
    seat (3).jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 31
  • seat2.jpg
    seat2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 37
I have used these guys 2x and they are great. Have patterns for just about any car and have excellent customer service.

They sew up the covers and you permanently install with hog rings.

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/

Here's how my Fairlane seats turned out. I think I got front & back seats plus carpet for about $500. I also got extra material and made my own door panels with it.

Your not going to get a better deal than this if it was only 500. The covers even fit good. I had customers bring me discount covers and they usually fit like crap.

I haven't trued anything as big as seat covers, but my 1938 Singer sewing machine will handle denim, leather, actually anything that I have tried. Just have to go slower than using an upholstery machine. Stitch length is not great for big stuff though. I've had the machine since the early 70s. Bullet proof.

Latest posts

Back