Help me decide!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fosort

I recently purchased 36 ford truck body. Body was removed from a larger truck and I did get a title with body. Took it home and began tearing into a few things and I would like your opinion to build or to piece out. I have enclosed photos but I will list problem areas I see. Pass door heavily dented,pass rear cab corner dented, rear cab panel dented and rusted out along bottom. pass rocker is creased, metal along bottom of rear window (inside) rotted. winsheild frame has rot. metal piece inside cab where wiper motor is has rot. Good roof, drivers door and rocker, good cowl ,dash, hood, and grill. Door post seem to be fair. Pics below:

Attachments

• my 36 ford 013.jpg
    my 36 ford 013.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 41
  • my 36 ford 014.jpg
    my 36 ford 014.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 40
  • my 36 ford 010.jpg
    my 36 ford 010.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 46
  • my 36 ford 017.jpg
    my 36 ford 017.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 32
  • my 36 ford 018.jpg
    my 36 ford 018.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 42
More photos

Attachments

• my 36 ford 012.jpg
    my 36 ford 012.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 30
  • my 36 ford 006.jpg
    my 36 ford 006.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 30
  • my 36 ford 004.jpg
    my 36 ford 004.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 44
In my opinion based on your description and photos.....that's a buildable unit and in the overall scheme of things, isn't that bad. The dents and creases are easier to fix than the rust. It all depends on a persons skill level I reckon but I think that's a very usable cab.

I agree with Gastrick...Ive seen a lot worse and I know that truck is fixable. You didn't show both inner rockers but the right side looks good, floor looks good so main structure is good. The grille and one fender look very good. If your not sure of your skills look at this project as a learning expierence.:D

That's all good tin as far as I can tell too. Start your build and fix what you don't like as you can. My 51 cab is in worse shape and it's still usable. Unless your looking to build a nice finished out rod you have the makings of a cool rat truck.

Thunder

fix it

One thing for sure is they arnt makin those any more, and you would be surprised how easy a lot of that is to fix. when i started working on my cab an old hot rodder told me " start cleaning it up, it will tell you what to do next" he was right. the other thing to remember is the skill you learn fixxing that cab will be yours forever and no one can take knowledge away from you.

Pablo

Thanks for the input! I will take cab to my shop after holidays and begin work. Ill post again with photos once I get started. Aside from cab I need to make a decision on frame. 2x3 or Ford. Maybe a combination of both with ford up front. Anyone with advice on frame choice, please share, I would hate to be sorry later. Thanks

Thanks for the input! I will take cab to my shop after holidays and begin work. Ill post again with photos once I get started. Aside from cab I need to make a decision on frame. 2x3 or Ford. Maybe a combination of both with ford up front. Anyone with advice on frame choice, please share, I would hate to be sorry later. Thanks

Are u talkin' about the orig Ford frame? I used the orig frame for my '41 but boxed it, put in a tubular x-member & MII front end... gonna run front fenders though.

BoB

I will not be using fenders. Stance is priority, cab room secondary. I do like stock horns around grill.

Nope its just garbage. Just drop it off at my place and Ill take care of it for you. :D:D[;)

Looks like a nice cab, and it should make a great start. heck mine was way worse than that but im working with it. The big question is do you like that style cab?? If so just go for it.

Latest posts

Back