A Crosley For Street & Strip

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crosley3003.jpg

It's got color.:D I used Rustoleum "American Accents" indoor/outdoor enamel that cleans up with soap and water. Three coats with a 2" brush. Dries fast to a satin finish. I'll dull it some more with Scotchbrite pads. The color is "Sunset Squash" What's with the designer names that don't even mention the color???[S The doors will be painted but the lettering will be saved. My "go to" sign painter is working on how best to accomplish that.
Next, the engine and trans come out and the chassis gets a good clean up and some fresh paint.

crosleylettering008.jpg

Outlined the lettering on the doors in a unique way.:cool:
The engine and trans are out now. Time to clean the frame and suspension and touch up. Then I get to assemble the healthier 406 sbc.[dr

Car looks great in that color. How much are you going to do on the motor?

You would have been right at home this past weekend at the ANRA Finals, there were the two regular crosleys and now a third one. Before long they will have their own class. Check out the photos on the site and I"m sure you will see some pictures of them. [P

Hope you post some pictures of the rebuild for all of us to enjoy.

011-2.jpg

Started assembling a short block for the Crosley. The old 406 had stock dished pistons and very low compression. I raced it on 87 octane regular gas. This short block should be about 12.5 to 1. I thought the low compression engine sounded muddy, this one should be a lot crisper sounding. Looks like I'll be buying race gas from now on.:D

Progress007.jpg

I know it ain't no Hemi, but it's the best I can do. While waiting for parts for the Plymouth project, I assembled the rest of the engine and got it, along wth the trans and driveshaft installed. Lots of other parts are back on the car too.
I kept the small cam, Performer RPM manifold, etc. I'm thinking the car will be pretty quick anyway. And it will be easier to tune.

Progress017.jpg

The interior sheetmetal was brush painted with Rustoleum hammered finish paint. It resembles the finish on file cabinets. Hopefully it will be durable. Requires Xylol for clean up. That seems to be pretty nasty stuff.

Progress005.jpg

Went to Michael's Crafts and found some transparent blue paint for the plexiglass rear quarter windows and the tailgate window. They only had one teeny-weeny can. I drove to the next closest Michael's and they were no longer there. So, another part of the project only partially done.
When I look out the window at the snow and shiver in the low temperatures I sure wish I was in So. Cal. running against those other Crosleys at the ANRA meets.:)

Motor looks sweet and ready for that C-10. [cl

Your going to need a bigger trailer for your race car fleet. That new "daily driver" your building is going to need a Hemi at this rate.:D

Dec22update006.jpg

Got the little Geo Metro radiator mounted. It is a junkyard unit and is rough shape. A new radiator is on order. A cute little fan mounts on the backside.

Dec22update007.jpg

You're looking at a Mr. Gasket waterpump drive. Do not buy one of these. Get a different brand. It took 2 hours and a few modifications/corrections to get the thing to fit.
I should be done reassembling in a couple weeks. Too bad I can't run it until April, or May if we have a late spring.

Progress005.jpg

Went to Michael's Crafts and found some transparent blue paint for the plexiglass rear quarter windows and the tailgate window. They only had one teeny-weeny can. I drove to the next closest Michael's and they were no longer there. So, another part of the project only partially done.
When I look out the window at the snow and shiver in the low temperatures I sure wish I was in So. Cal. running against those other Crosleys at the ANRA meets.:)

you know bob, your just going to have to save some money and come out to the anra races.

Latest posts

Back