Sheets & Giggles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Battling a sinus cold that has me feeling crappy so I didn't get a lot done this weekend. Managed to get the rest of the rivets in the floor and tunnel. Dave was at the shop and helped me get the rest of the beads rolled in the floor.

I was very unhappy with the flex in the tow boards so I made some "V" braces for them today and riveted them in. Much better now. Made up some brackets to support and mount the seat and got them in so the seat is bolted in now. Its stong enough to stand on while getting in and out of the car. Later on, if I feel wealthy, I can change the bolts out for dzus fasteners.

Then it was time to see if the steering box would fit with the floor. It didn't. (surprise .. surprise) Anyway, some minor modifications to the mounting brackets fixed the problem and everything fits as it should now.

Time for some more sinus drugs and back to bed now. Hopefully I'll feel up to getting more done next week.

Attachments

• IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 58
I decided I really didn't like the high sides so I shortened them and started welding in some mounting tabs. Looks better now I think.

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 53
Doesn't look like much, but it took all day. My friend Paul helped with the bead rolling. All the tabs made and welded in. Threaded inserts installed for all the bolts in the side panels and seat.

Haven't been able to get to much done lately as I put my back out about a week and a half ago. Not sure how I did it as I wasn't doing anything heavy .. bent over to put down a box of hand wipes and that was it. Little thing like that takes a long time to heal :(

Attachments

• IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 44
Haven't been able to get to much done lately as I put my back out about a week and a half ago. Not sure how I did it as I wasn't doing anything heavy .. bent over to put down a box of hand wipes and that was it. Little thing like that takes a long time to heal :(

I spend more time trying to figure out why something hurts than working on cars.

I gotta get a bead roller. Your tin work looks very professional. Is your engine assembled?

Thanks Bob.

The long block is together. Just have to machine valve cover clearance into the intake manifold and it can go on. The blower still needs some minor machining and assembly. Also need to buy some bits to complete the fuel injection setup. Oh yeah, and order up a diaper and blower restraints.

The deal I had for a built powerglide fell through so I'm now looking for another one. With the Canadian dollar worth nothing I don't want to have to order up a new one since that would wind up costing me $3500+ so that is a last resort. Finding a good trans with a brake, straight cut planetaries and 8 disc clutch pack is not easy :)

Finally the body, turtle deck and grill shell are mounted. No more clamps holding things in place. Also got the trans crossmember fabbed and mounted. Just about out of things I can do until I get more parts. Sure wish our dollar would recover some but I guess I'm now stuck paying $1.40 for every dollar worth of parts.

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 83
Looks like a real race car. Great stance. Any ideas regarding paint, lettering?

Thanks Bob.

Haven't thought about paint to much and really don't know what I'm going to do there. For this year likely something out of a rattle can.

I would like to get decals made for a logo and the driver name ... "Ahmgwanna Kikbootie". [ddd :D LOL

Seriously though, right now I just want to get the car finished. :)

Attachments

• logo.pdf
    144.1 KB · Views: 27
Whoa mule .. whoa I say!! :D:D

Hope it will go quick enough to need it. Got the parachute mount made and installed today.

Attachments

• IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 40
Let there be light. Chose some taillights and got them mounted. Hope you guys like them as much as I do.

I bought a Quarter Pro shifter hoping to install it on the right side knee bar but it just wouldn't work out there. Wound up mounting it on the transmission tunnel. Not really where I wanted it but that's the only place it worked out that I could reach it easily and not interfere with getting in and out or be banging against my knee. It has a solenoid for the 1 - 2 shift so I won't have to be groping for it as I go down the track. I plan to use an rpm switch to trigger the solenoid so all I have to do is stab and steer. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 37
Today was devoted to "do overs". I bought some heims from Speedway and redid the supports for the steering shaft and the cross shaft from the steering box. I felt there was to much flex in the cross shaft and the steering shaft support was to far forward. I think the "do over" will work out to be a "done better". I also redid the drag link with a slightly longer one to allow full engagement of the rod ends. Putting the bend in it made the original one to short.

Attachments

• IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg