Sheets & Giggles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the same way I put C5 vette brakes on the front of my 69 chevelle...long before someone came out with a bolt on kit! [cl

Feeling pretty good right now - finished the first segment of this year's training session, wrote the exam on Heavy Equipment Hydraulic Systems and scored 94% on theory and 100% on the practical. Tomorrow we start Diesel Fuel Injection, Emission Control and Engine Diagnosis. Should be almost as much fun as hitting your hand with a hammer. :)

So what your saying is you can tell me what is wrong with the hydros on my excavator? :D

Congrats on the good grades! Wish I had that knowledge!

The rides pretty cool too lol.

That's the same way I put C5 vette brakes on the front of my 69 chevelle...long before someone came out with a bolt on kit! [cl

I guess I wasn't very clear jfg - I cut the brakes off of the mid 80's gm rotors so that I would have just the hubs. Used an angle grinder with a cut off disc and then a lathe to clean them up.

Attachments

• IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 19
So what your saying is you can tell me what is wrong with the hydros on my excavator? :D

Congrats on the good grades! Wish I had that knowledge!

The rides pretty cool too lol.

Thank you.

I guess I'm likely the world's oldest apprentice but the company wants me to get my ticket and are willing to pay for it so here I am, in school again at 62! :eek::eek::eek:

Doing 3rd level now and just 1 more to go for journeyman status as Heavy Duty Equipment Technician. :D

Heck...what's wrong with 62??

Thank you.

I guess I'm likely the world's oldest apprentice but the company wants me to get my ticket and are willing to pay for it so here I am, in school again at 62! :eek::eek::eek:

Doing 3rd level now and just 1 more to go for journeyman status as Heavy Duty Equipment Technician. :D

I'd jump at that if I was able to retire here...I might not be as fast as I once was but I'm still able to turn a wrench or two.... Good for you man...never turn down the chance to get some education...especially if it's free... [cl

Rock On!

Thank you.

You rock, sc5080! At your age, you have so much life experience to take to the class, that it's no wonder you are doing so well. I am thinking that you will be teaching the younger guys a few things after you get back to work. [cl

I guess I wasn't very clear jfg - I cut the brakes off of the mid 80's gm rotors so that I would have just the hubs. Used an angle grinder with a cut off disc and then a lathe to clean them up.

Yup. I did the same to a set of 70-81 F body rotors. Turned the disc off so I had just the hub. Only instead of just having bare hubs up front I slid a set of 13" vette rotors over them so I could have cheap big brakes for my chevelle. [;)

Project is looking good...[P

Very little done on the car this weekend - finished welding the pushbar and the shock mounts. I made some brackets and mounted the fuel tank. But that was about it.

Spent most of the time getting this Caddy to stay running but run it does and the owner is very happy.

Attachments

• IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 43
Well, school is done for this year. I'm pleased with the results - Diesel Injection, Emission Control and Diagnostics 95%; HVAC 98%; Hydraulics 97%; Electronic Controls and Diagnostics 98%; Fuel Systems and Alternative Fuels 100%. One more year to go and I'll have my Heavy Duty Equipment Technician journeyman certification.

Finally got a bit more done on the altered. Mounted the master cylinder and fabricated an old school hand brake and foot brake setup. I may have to rethink the foot brake as its a little to far back to apply comfortably. The hand brake seems to be fine though.

Sure am glad to be getting back to the car. Meltdown is coming way to soon :)

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 65
Outstanding build on your race car. I also have a T Bucket, but it's for the street only. I think I'm jealous I love going fast!

A visit to the machine shop today to check on progress for the motor. The crank is getting the second keyway cut and the block has been filled, bored and decked and is on a stand in the build room. Got the specs for the solid roller cam:

duration @.020 in 278 ex 298
duration @.050 in 248 ex 262
lobe lift in .410 ex .403
valve lift in .615 ex .605
lobe center in 112 ex 112
lobe separation 112
timing @.050 in 12/56 ex 63/19
valve lash in .012 ex .014

Should make for an interesting idle with the blower and injection and still be fairly easy on the rest of the valve train. :D

Well, I sent in the notice that I will not get the car done for Meltdown this year. :( Guess I'll be a spectator again this year. We are taking the Scout and the Prefect down again. Hopefully we'll have all the bugs worked out of them.

Sometimes life gets in the way and sometimes its getting parts on time and sometimes its both. Turns out the heads that I got such a good deal on will not be that great a deal in the end. They will only accept T&D or Jesel shaft rockers at about $1200 US for the set and also require offset lifters to allow for pushrod clearance. I've ordered the T&D rockers but apparently they are special order and will take several weeks to be made and shipped.

Add to that, my wife and I decided to start shopping for a new house that hopefully will come with a shop that will allow me to work on my projects at home. Wish me luck in the search. :)

And, my youngest daughter finally has her driver license. This meant I had to modify the family dragster to fit her - moved pedals back 5" and the seat forward 4". She fits the car now and will start the process of getting her competition license. Can't wait to see the look on her face the first time she runs 8 seconds and 150+ mph. :)

In the meantime, work continues on "Sheets and Giggles". I'll post more pictures as soon as I get something done that shows.

Attachments

• Scout.jpg
    Scout.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Prefect.jpg
    Prefect.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 61
That is one happy looking young lady! Other cars are cool too. Sorry the S&G gets delayed, but that's the way it is sometimes. Keep at it! :D

It doesn't pay to rush things at the end of a build. Better to show up well prepared. I just watched the 2015 March Meet on Youtube and those Altereds sure do dance. Looking forwand to meeting you and the other guys at BYron in a few weeks.

A little off topic but we finally got to the dragstrip for my daughter's first runs in the dragster. Now I have to deal with the "perma-grin". Might take a couple of weeks to get the smile off her face. :):):)

Bob - I'm looking forward to meeting with you at Meltdown. Just a few more days and we'll be on our way. Sure wish I could have finished the altered in time for this year's event.

Attachments

• IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 44
Were those license runs? I'll bet she's going quicker than I'll ever go. Good luck to her.

Been practicing with the trans brake in the driveway. It sure gives it a kick in the pants.

Leaving very early Friday morning for the 7 hour trip to the Meltdown. See ya there.

Latest posts

Back