Sheets & Giggles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were those license runs? I'll bet she's going quicker than I'll ever go. Good luck to her.

Been practicing with the trans brake in the driveway. It sure gives it a kick in the pants.

Leaving very early Friday morning for the 7 hour trip to the Meltdown. See ya there.

Yes Bob - her first licensing runs. I haven't let her do a full pull yet - just a short squirt to the shift point (about 300 feet). With that she coasted to 58 mph at the 1/8 with a 7.25 et. 60 foot in the low 1.20's, leaving off the trans brake at about 5000 rpm. That's about 1/2 second quicker than she ever went with her junior - she ran that at 7.90 and 85 mph.

It takes a little while to get used to the trans brake - especially with a delay box. But it sure wakes you up when it decides to launch.

I guess that makes you about 9 hours from here. Meltdown is a 16 hour tow for us. We'll be leaving Wednesday evening and driving all night.

It was great meeting you and the other guys at the Meltdown Drags. The Scout ran good and sounded great. However my heart is with the Prefect. Under that rough tin is the heart of a formidible race car.

It was great meeting you and the other guys at the Meltdown Drags. The Scout ran good and sounded great. However my heart is with the Prefect. Under that rough tin is the heart of a formidible race car.

Thanks Bob. Meeting and chatting with you and Tater was the highlight of the trip for me this year. Congratulations on your excellent runs with the Silver Bullet. Low 12's and over 100 mph runs were outstanding. I was absolutely thrilled for you.

We managed to get most of the bugs sorted out with our cars. The Scout managed a 10.81 and the Prefect did a best of 11.03. Not to bad considering the horrible weather. I hope someone got some pictures of our runs. The heat and humidity had me to worn out to take any myself. Sure hope next year is cooler.

Our trip home was as boring and uneventful as our trip down - exactly the way we want it. :)

I'm amazed to see one person have all these racers! Good for you. :)
That Prefect is a joy to behold for us raw metal lovers.

To correct a possible misconception, the Scout and the Prefect are not mine. I just work on them. I do, however, have my dragster currently being driven by my youngest daughter, my Mustang "street car", and the altered T that is the subject of this thread.

To further clear up any misconception I have the Ford 300 6 powered dragster, a 406 sbc powered Crosley station wagon, a tube frame fiberglass 377 sbc powered Fiat and an Anglia. Just the right amount of drag cars, I think.

The BIG difference is sc5080 is an experienced drag racer and knows how to run and tune high horsepower engines. Next year ought to be thrilling when his roadster dances, guard rail to centerline, going down the quarter mile. It's going to be a beast.

Finished the licensing process with my youngest today. She has now earned her IHRA Competition License.[cl Very proud of her accomplishment - mostly about a comment made by another competitor - "Went straight like a lazer". Now we just have to work on those reaction times.:)

Here's a link to a video of one of her licensing passes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6zaPScMDpU

Attachments

• IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Michelle timeslips.jpg
    Michelle timeslips.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 37
Congratulations to her and to you. You put her in a safe, reliable car.

I 'spose the pressure is off on the altered build, or are you intending to run it this season?

Congratulations to her and to you. You put her in a safe, reliable car.

I 'spose the pressure is off on the altered build, or are you intending to run it this season?

Thanks Bob. She caught on pretty quickly and was able to get comfortable with the car somewhat quicker than I expected. One of the biggest thrills for me was her ability to note and relay to me the engine temp and oil pressure on every run - a sign that she was more than just along for the ride. :)

I have hopes of getting the altered finished before the season is over and get a couple of test passes in but am somewhat more focused right now on the search for a new house. I really want to have my own shop space at home and its just not possible at our current address. Much as Paul (of the Prefect fame) is very gracious in allowing me access to his shop I just think I should have my own space. As a result, the major focus right now is getting this house ready to sell and finding the "perfect" place to buy. You know what I mean - a really great shop and some kind of house on the property. My wife may have other priorities. :eek: :D

The Scout took a back seat in the popularity vote the second the Prefect made it's first appearance. I'm very cool with that. Each car has it's own fan club. We're getting the Fuel Injected Suicide Machine dialed in a little each time it's out. I'm sure there is a high 9 in it.

Sheets and Giggles will add a lot of depth to the Meltdown parade from the North... looking forward to next year

The attraction of the Prefect is its rough exterior. Plus the fact that I have a 2 door model, an Anglia.
There were some drag race early Broncos years ago and the Scout brings back those memories.
What does it feel like to leave the line with the front hoops in the air?
Next year is going to be mind blowing. So much to watch and look at it's hard to take the time to race.

Last edited:
Saxxon, consider joining the Mnnesota Street Rod Assn. then you can come down to Brainerd for a free weekend of drag racing the end of August. Must be a member to get in. That means everyone. The association rents the track. Your Scout would be a real crowd pleaser. Although there are not many spectators. Just people running their cars. Google MSRAf or more information.

The attraction of the Prefect is its rough exterior. What does it feel like to leave the line with the front hoops in the air?
Next year is going to be mind blowing. So much to watch and look at it's hard to take the time to race.

We talked at length about painting it. At Meltdown 5 Quain Stott wandered by and told us if we ever painted it he would come North and kill us... that pretty much sealed the issue. The barn find look is definitely the cool factor on the Prefect and what everyone tends to comment on. There is more to do on it (Door panels, dash, window moldings) but we'll never change the current image.

The first time the Scout stood up it caught me off guard. After that pass I was looking to high five and chest bump everyone.The big ones are nothing but sky. You tend to giggle in the middle of them and forget to breath. Your butt will tell you if you are still straight or not. Of course there is nothing you can do until you come back down. Best described as Yee Haw - Oh Crap !! The low ones are more HP than Torque and are easier to manage. They also produce better ETs. These are more of a "Yah boyeee" kind of feeling... Still can't steer - but at least you can see the wall (tree, other lane) as you head towards it...

There is so much to do and see at the Meltdown event you have to make the decision to either race or watch. Trying to do both is a challenge. With Sheets and Giggles scheduled to debut next year this will add even more time in the staging lanes and pits. All good for me as it's about time I returned the favor to Larry for all the assistance he has given us for the Scout and Prefect. This should be a loud squirrelly little beast. Just right for educating the uninitiated.

Back at it

It has been a while since I've posted any progress on the car - in fact about 6 months. Finally got back into the shop and made some small progress. Hopefully my schedule will allow me to get a lot more done over the next several weeks.

Anyway, the body is finally bolted to the frame. Still have to make some rear mounts but the front is solid. I also remade the brake handle - I like this one a lot more.

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 61
Started in a doing some CAD work today - cardboard assisted design. Trying to figure out the floor and tunnel and still leave some room for my feet. Also made some templates for the side panels. Wondering if I should bring the sides higher to follow the top frame rail? Any opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0553.jpg
    IMG_0553.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 65

Latest posts

Back