What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got almost all my interior out this weekend. Back seat fell apart and stuffing blew all over the driveway. Have one door panel left to get off. Im just going to run a front seat. Might run buckets if i can find some super cheap

On the '50 truck, I:

Changed the nasty old front disc brake pads. (Has a chevy spindle adapter, mid 70's chevy discs and rotor - Sacramento Vintage Ford kit bought in 1990s).
I've got some pedal again. :)

I wanted to get more of the big and littles look. Thus I put some taller tires on the rear, and reduced the preload in the rear AFCO coilovers, so she'd sit right. Too much rake otherwise.

Adjusted my cross-steer a bit, checked all the bolts for tightness. I use this for a daily in the summer, and I'm always surprised how much she shakes herself loose.

Tomorrow I'm going to measure up to start work on a front panhard bar. This truck is too "swimmy". May need to replace my 5 year old kingpins too.

That's all I've got.

Fuel Liine

ran the fuel line, going to change tank end to rubber is to ridged now I'll cut it at the kink you see, this line did not bend well, I've rarely had problems with line until this one.

Attachments

• fuel line 1.jpg
    fuel line 1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 21
  • fuel line 2.jpg
    fuel line 2.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 19
  • fuel line 3.jpg
    fuel line 3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 20
  • fuel line 5.jpg
    fuel line 5.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 19
  • fuel line 6.jpg
    fuel line 6.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 20
  • fuel line 7.jpg
    fuel line 7.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 20
I know this is a controversial topic: Steering stabilizers!

My truck likes to swim around a bit at 30 - 40 mph and I have some slop in the steering, despite newish kingpins, new bushings on the front leaf eyes. I played with tire pressure, and the front end is set up properly... the steering on these trucks is not precise.

Years ago I put in a saginaw box with cross steer, as I use it as a daily driver in the summers. My worry with this modification was framerail flex in the steering. I bolstered the heck out of the driver's side frame rail, and made some progress, but ultimately it still flexed, which also led to sloppiness.

I bought a steering stabililizer from LMC truck and installed it yesterday.

All I can say is wow. The axle is now tied to the tie rod tube with a large shock, which tucks up behind the axle. Not only does the truck steer much more precisely but the stabilizer seems to oppose the twist exerted by the pitman arm on the frame. Sounds goofy, but now I have nice quiet steering, no belt chatter.

I know that some call this a band-aid, but this is a major improvement!:eek::cool: Good weekend.

Next up for this winter is to fabricate a front panhard bar.

I know this is a controversial topic: Steering stabilizers!

My truck likes to swim around a bit at 30 - 40 mph and I have some slop in the steering, despite newish kingpins, new bushings on the front leaf eyes. I played with tire pressure, and the front end is set up properly... the steering on these trucks is not precise.

Years ago I put in a saginaw box with cross steer, as I use it as a daily driver in the summers. My worry with this modification was framerail flex in the steering. I bolstered the heck out of the driver's side frame rail, and made some progress, but ultimately it still flexed, which also led to sloppiness.

I bought a steering stabililizer from LMC truck and installed it yesterday.

All I can say is wow. The axle is now tied to the tie rod tube with a large shock, which tucks up behind the axle. Not only does the truck steer much more precisely but the stabilizer seems to oppose the twist exerted by the pitman arm on the frame. Sounds goofy, but now I have nice quiet steering, no belt chatter.

I know that some call this a band-aid, but this is a major improvement!:eek::cool: Good weekend.

Next up for this winter is to fabricate a front panhard bar.
I want to try one on my 8000 lbs behemoth.
I also want sway bars

I drove mine! Put bout 100 mile on the ol girl, then we took family photos and the wife wanted to use the truck. Kinda cool lol

My 2 year old and the truck

lowbudget, outstanding [cl
the ol girl is looking good and the not ol girl is just to cute :D
it's great that you wife want to use the truck, mine won't even set in it [S tried once and hit her head on the top,, that was it :p

Congrats on that first 100 mile jaunt. In 14 years that cute little girl will be asking for the keys to the truck.;)

Thanks guys, definitely not ny first 100 miles. Just hadnt had it out in a while. That smiley little girl absolutely love that truck, would suprise me if she wants to drive it. Shef be the 3rd generation to drive it!

Saturday we drove to Nebraska to pick up Gracie, our 2-1/2# Attack Poodle. 4 months old. She's trained to go for the throat.

represented

My wife and I went into the "Black Hole" sporting Bronco colors to see the Broncos vs. Raiders game on Sunday Night. What a rush! Can't say I'd do that again! I was pretty sure the Donkeys would get their a$$ kicked and they did! Kind of glad though, not sure we would have made it out of there alive had they won. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_2153[1].jpg
    IMG_2153[1].jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2158[1].jpg
    IMG_2158[1].jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 26
It been awhile since i been around. two yaers ago I bought a new house with three garages that were not more then shells. Spent the two years turning them into my shops. Well last weekend i finish got my baby in her new home. now I can finish her.

Attachments

• PB050126.jpg
    PB050126.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 28
  • PB050131.jpg
    PB050131.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 25
  • PB050130.jpg
    PB050130.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 27
  • PB050136.jpg
    PB050136.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 24
Put the windshield in my truck last weekend & got the wiper (yes... wiper) in & got the wiring set to go. Just in time for winter... haha! :D

BoB

Latest posts

Back