'Nother bad build idea in the back of my head....with a POLL!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well? (multiple answers allowed)

• Total voters

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
I've always had a thing for the big slabside Newports, Lincolns, Caddys, etc. Since we moved out of the city, my wife suggested I get a 4x4. Somehow I made a comment about a 4x4 Caddy. She said 'I guess, whatever', and that, of course, opened the door to bad ideas. Not a jacked up 4x4, but maybe a couple inches higher with aggressive tires is all I was thinking.

So, I found a 72 Newport on CL that doesn't sell (the guy always thinks he has gold) - I'm betting the sides are rotted up 6".
3G13F63H15La5Gb5F1d436c1a3ed700191d94.jpg

But then I found this:
3K13Ge3L35N25E75Jdd4of7fab6a2dd531e67.jpg

...and then I thought stuffing duals under the rear end might be insane looking! So maybe just take the Newport (or other), lower it a few, and stuff duals under the rear - non-4x4.

My concerns would be fitting big tires under, and stuffing the front drivetrain in too. Not to mention track width. No flared fenders in the back if duals, they would be stuffed under.

Well?

Too bad B.E.D. isn't around anymore, to verbally slap me. :D (maybe this woulda fit in the BS Lounge better. :p)

i myself would make a mild custom out of the car and play hell in the truck. good luck on which ever you do.

This would be a back back back burner idea. First I need a shop... :( So right now, I can't do much more than think and plan and keep a eye out for parts. The A's are still tops o f the list. I've always wanted a early 70's Newport/Imperial as a ditch-bomber.

why not

l have a friend who put a 1964 rambler classic 2 door on a CJ 5 chassis, one who put a 1966 El Camino on a K5 blazer chassis and one with a 1964 Impala wagon modified to a 4x4, so why not do the "land yacht" mopar 4X4'ed:D

AND beside's, all of us who do the rod thing are a little bit nuts anyway:eek:

Later :cool:

hotrodders opinion.

E-gads! I'm a ford guy, but my first thought was 'you're going to throw a big block Mopar on the ground and spend quite a bit of time transplanting a 360 Ford with truck 4 speed into a nice cruiser.'
Nice big long cars look cool as a tail dragger and look like poop, high in the back.
Buy both vehicles and keep them separate!!
Maybe cut back on your sugar intake.
Keep on tinkering.

Great vid Mister Farm. [cl

Sam. If you're serious about this, (and at the risk of stating the obvious) I'll offer my opinion...

1. Cut and weld. No matter which slab-sided monster you choose, you'll have to narrow the frame to accept a dually rear and some floor pan/wheel tub surgery will be required.

2. Track width. An import dually Nissan/Toyota (fairly common fodder in my neck of the woods as landscaping and/or property management vehicles) might suit your needs...

Last edited:
I did the 4X4

I put a 1927 coupe on a CJ7 chassis back about 12 years ago.
It fit like it was made for it.
Also had more fun in that car than any other rods I have owned.
Go for it if thats what you want to do,I did and it turned out great.:)

Attachments

• Picture 121.jpg
    Picture 121.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 20
I don't care what anyone says, if you have the vision, resources, and skills to make it look good, then go for it! And even if its a bit rough, but has the look you want, have at it.

Not everyone can handle something unique, and I say this mainly because I am really really tired of seeing the same looks over and over at car shows... Build it, you will have fans!

Never thought of the import size trucks. Yeah, that would be a better bet. I already knew the F350 I posted isn't a good one, the Ford front end is way too bulky and hard to work with. It just sparked the dually idea. Although it is set up for a plow and dump bed..... hmmmmm... :rolleyes: The smaller import stuff would be a lot easier to tuck up under too.

So far, 5 guys think it's a idea, 10 think I'm on drugs. Obviously, I should continue thinking about this. :D

Do IT!!! I DARE YOU!!! LOL

Seriously though, 4x4 dually, just high enough to comfortably clear mild tires. And I would have to say though if you do the dually it needs to have a little flare in the back.....

Latest posts

Back