Nut buster oils test

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
"Recently "Machinist Workshop Magazine" did a test on penetrating oils using nuts and bolts that they `scientifically rusted' to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water. They then tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them. This is what they came up with:

Nothing = 516 lbs
WD-40 = 238 lbs
PB Blaster = 214 lbs
Liquid Wrench = 127 lbs
Kano Kroil = 106 lbs
ATF/Acetone mix (50/50) = 50 lbs."

That study has been posted here before but, deserves to be brought up again. Thanks
The acetone and tranny fluid has to be shaken each time before useand works great.
A friend brought me a can of Knocker Loose from CRC for me to try, I have to admit it works very well. Almost as good as the acetone/tranny fluid combo. It maybe CRC's version of the combo from the looks of it.

Hey guys, I am new here but thought I would toss my two cents in here. I work for a company called Kent Automotive. We have a product called Open & Shut by Drummond (one of our lines of industrial chemicals) and it is by far the best penetrating fluid I have seen on the market. If you can get a hold of a Lawson Products/Kent Automotive Rep you can probably get your hands on some.

Cheers,

Ive always used pb blaster, i think its because of the cool label. Gonna mix up some tranny fluid and acetone to give it a shot. Id think youd need a really good spray bottle, maybe a castrol super clean spray bottle.

Ive always used pb blaster, i think its because of the cool label. Gonna mix up some tranny fluid and acetone to give it a shot. Id think youd need a really good spray bottle, maybe a castrol super clean spray bottle.

That's what came to mind for me too. [S

Might be like the old farm boy who went off to college to be a chemist. He came home on break and was telling his dad how they had developed a chemical that would dissolve anything! The old farmer thought for a second and said....that's great son, but what are you gonna keep it in? :D

I have to agree the acetone and TF work great, I put it in a cheap $4. automotive spray bottle well over a month ago and every time I use a little shake and a couple pumps and it's sprays.

I guess i can get a good spray bottle and make my own cool label for it. I will google all the chemical equations of atf and acetone and write it all over the bottle label. It will work alot better.

Latest posts

Back